New Build Focus on CPU speed (aiming for i5, +4Ghz)

ManDudeGuy

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: The sooner the better (within a week, two at most)

Budget Range: $1300 (The box plus shipping not including tax)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming: PSO2, Sonic Generations, Border Lands II, Valve Games, Dolphin Emu (I'll check with other folks as far as the CPU and GPU is concerned)

Are you buying a monitor: Taken care of :)

Do you need to buy OS: Nope, taken care of too

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, ncix.com

Parts Preferences: by brand or type (e.g.: I would like to upgrade to Intel CPU)

Overclocking: Yes Please (hoping for 4+ GHz)

SLI or Crossfire: No thanks, focused on CPU more than the GPU

Your Monitor Resolution: 1600x1200

Additional Comments: I've asked for help before and I got the old list, but it's been quite a while and I'm looking stuff like "get more bang for your buck" sort of thing. Having this thing be a bit of a space heater is OK, it gets cold here anyway :). Don't want this guy to take up too much room (physically).

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My poor laptop finally gave up on me (dead hard drive + plans to buy a new machine anyway), thanks to family I still have access to a working machine (7 year old) machine.

Here's the Newegg list, don't a pcpart picker list account: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=25161407

Thanks so much for your help in the past and any continuing support you guys can/are willing to give.

ManDudeGuy

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Well, space is a concern, if heating would end up being just totally out of control for the hardware... does this chassis make any difference? I'm willing to live with a little bit of heat if I can conserve just that tiny bit of space (being a college student lol). I would really like to stick with mATX, I'm aware of some of the disadvantages.

I'm sorry if this comes across as pushy at all, I'm genuinely not trying to be. Let me know how major of a problem this will be.

Thanks for being honest and for your help.

fuzg13z

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
if you can deal with ATX then checkout my setup.. as far as a videocard goes, try something like a 560ti if you're only running it at 1600x1200, could even go up to 7870 or 7950 if you're willing to pay a little more.. my build is in my signature. That 3570k can be pushed to 4.4ghz normally, some people hit 4.5..
you'll need a hyper 212 evo or better cooler though to deal with the heat though as ivy runs hot

ManDudeGuy

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
@Sakkura

Understood, have any guesses on how far I can push it? Obviously I'm not expecting the reality to really reflect it. I'm going to be as slow and careful as necessary. Do you think I can make it too 4+ Ghz with this setup?

Thanks for your feedback :)

@fuzg13z

The board I have selected atm is 9.6" by 9.6"

You could most likely get to 4 GHz fairly easily, maybe with your CPU running a little hotter (but probably not too hot).

Here's my suggestion:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.82 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.Sniper M3 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($349.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($99.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1141.72
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

ManDudeGuy

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
The Define mini looks nice :). Well using your suggestion, does that make OCing any more optimistic? The Mini is a bit larger case-wise but something I'm quite comfortable with.

Thanks as always.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
Aim for a little higher, say 4.5 @1.25 and that should give you awesome power. Also get the MSI Afterburner and raise that card to 1200MHz Core clock and 3500 MHz memory clock and watch it go.

It'll be fine, the big disadvantage for matx is when you cf/sli. Atx is 12x9.6 vs matx 9.6x9.6 so is only a 2.4 inches difference. Although matx vs atx cases will usually differ 3-4 inches.

I'd say everyone can get to 4ghz as long as your hardware can oc. Even a locked 3570 can get to 3.8 (4.2). I'd change the mobo just to have heatsinks on both vrm. Any reason you stuck with the g1?

That's what you'd do normally. You can still go that way with this build, you just have to be even more wary of the temps. Try and do combined CPU and GPU stress testing so you're sure your case cooling will always be able to keep up.

ManDudeGuy

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Well, how realistic is 4.5GHz on something like this setup? I'm by no means stuck with any component (other than my desire for this to be an mATX setup and not to consume too much space).

I'm of course going to watch the stress tests like a hawk, $1200+ is not a trivial expense for me.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
Actually, my cpu temps don't get anywhere above 48 degrees celcius and gpu never breaks 55 degrees celcius either. Mind you, I have th Cooler Master HAF XM with 1 230 mm front intake, 1 230 mm side intake, 2x230 mm top exhaust and water cooled CPU with push/pull. So ample amount of air and low noise and heat.

Hmm, actually I'm not so sure anymore that the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo would fit in the Fractal Design Define Mini. I thought the Hyper 212 was a bit less than 160mm (the maximum height the Define Mini can house), but it's listed at 160mm on the Cooler Master site. So that could be a bit too close for comfort.

ManDudeGuy

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Yikes, I'm not finding any down-draft heat sinks anywhere. How does the define compare with the original case & cpu cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163182?

Is there a good cooler out there that would work well with the mini and the other hardware?

Thanks for taking a look.

Edit: Oh wait, someone looked at this before :3
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274592-29-cooling-fractal-design-define-mini
It's still 120mm though, what do you guys think about it?

Is saving 3 inches in height really necessary? Matx is shorter upwards (an issue for expansion slots), heat is the same for matx vs atx for the cpu. The heat issue would be with sli/cf because the cards will be right on top of each other. Both mentioned cases will fit the 212.

4ghz+ is child's play for these cpus, this is not an issue.

ManDudeGuy

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Is saving 3 inches in height really necessary?

Well, that's a valid point, I could just go with ATX, but I guess I just really want something a little smaller I guess. As far as the mentioned disadvantages. I don't plan to any sli/cf stuff with the GPU. I don't plan to load the expansion slots too heavily (outside the one GPU it's doubtful I'll be adding another). My focus is on the CPU, and a GPU that's fairly well equipped, 670 alone seems to fit the bill and plus some. It's something that doesn't bother me that much.

Just fishing for an opinion/other thoughts here, which case do you think is better for getting the CPU well OC'd?

ManDudeGuy

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
The Cooler Master HAF 912 seems nice, I've looked at some reviews. Among the one I was looking at the SilverStone Temjin Series TJ08B-E seems to be the winner. So I'm arguing to myself between TJ08B-E and HAF 912. HAF 912 is much bigger, but I assume that would mean better cooling (for the CPU since my plans include to OC it to as high as I can get). TJ08B-E seems much better space wise (and design wise, eh subjective, but that's what appeals to me) but my concern would be can I still push the CPU hard?

Ideas on what I can expect from each case as far as CPU OCing is concerned? Any ideas on they would fare as far as temp and noise?

Thanks for your feedback guys.

Both the fractal and the tj08-e are classified as a silent cases, while the haf 912 and storm scout are just regular. Not that regular is loud, they have good quiet fans. The fractal would be better cooling vs the tjo8 since it has a top fan. I'd go with the fractal. You really seem worried about temps, don't be. There are plenty of minimalist style cases if that is what you are looking for.

ManDudeGuy

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Allright going with Define Mini it is. Will these parts work together well (compatible/phsyically fits) ?

This is the finalish check, I'm almost ready. Anything else?

Thanks so much guys.