• Sell the entire system in December, and buy a new one in May

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Sell mobo, ram, cpu, gpu in December and buy new ones in May

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

poutinerocks

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
I'll be going to Calgary for 4 months this winter for a job (through university) and won't be able to bring my desktop with me. I have three options, and want your opinion. (If you have another suggestion, I'd be happy to hear it)

specs:
CPU: Phenom II 955
GPU: Radeon 5850,
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3
Ram: 4GB G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
PSU: Corsair TX650W
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout
SSD: Adata S510 120GB
HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Black
DVD-R drive

What do you think my best option is? It I keep it at home for four months, will the depreciation be bigger than the cost of new components? If I do get a new system in May, would there be enough performance difference to make the cost worth it?

What price could I get for my hardware? For the whole system, I'm thinking $800 and the four components would be $325.

lchrisk

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
Well for four months, it won't hardly be worth as much as you would be selling it now. You could not get $800, as the phenom is around $100 depends what place you are, gpu is a little outdate, only 4gb of ram. You could maybe get $500, stretching $600. Or you could sell the cpu, gpu, and ram, as the other parts are pretty decent. I would sell everything, and when you come back, use the extra money and build a nice PC :)

poutinerocks

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
Thanks for the replies guys. I thought my prices were a bit high, but you never know, there's someone selling a "gaming" rig for $1600 without a gpu. http://www.usedregina.com/classified-ad/Custom-Desktop-PC_17928977

I think that the components themselves would go for less, because anyone who knew what to do with them would know how much they're worth. However, I might be able to get 700 for the whole thing since someone who's getting a gaming rig might not know what it's really worth, especially when compared to the ad above.

D

Deleted member 217926

That computer has been posted there since August 15th too.......Don't look to me like peole are lining up to buy it. Honestly a Phenom II and a HD 5850......maybe $450-$500 if you want it to sell sometime this year and that's only because it has an SSD.

Add up the parts new and then subtract 30% right off the bat for being used. Then subtract another 10-20% for each year old it is or could be.

poutinerocks

Distinguished
May 14, 2011

Thanks for all the feedback. With how much you guys are saying I would get for it, and the cost of a new rig, it doesn't seem worth it to sell. It can still game good enough for me, and I don't think that the $500-700 it would cost for a new rig (plus the money from this one) is worth it for the increase in graphics quality.

mrdowntownkiller

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
if i were you i could leave only the (CASE , PSU , HDD , SSD,OS) and sell the other parts separately and buy new components to refill this pretty case :) (preferred to be with intel cpu this time)