Total: 11 votes (1 blank vote)

• Keep it at home
  • 20 %
  • Sell the entire system in December, and buy a new one in May
  • 20 %
  • Sell mobo, ram, cpu, gpu in December and buy new ones in May
  • 60 %
October 20, 2012 10:10:01 PM

I'll be going to Calgary for 4 months this winter for a job (through university) and won't be able to bring my desktop with me. I have three options, and want your opinion. (If you have another suggestion, I'd be happy to hear it)

specs:
CPU: Phenom II 955
GPU: Radeon 5850,
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3
Ram: 4GB G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
PSU: Corsair TX650W
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout
SSD: Adata S510 120GB
HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Black
DVD-R drive

What do you think my best option is? It I keep it at home for four months, will the depreciation be bigger than the cost of new components? If I do get a new system in May, would there be enough performance difference to make the cost worth it?

What price could I get for my hardware? For the whole system, I'm thinking $800 and the four components would be $325.

More about : sell rig

a b B Homebuilt system
October 20, 2012 10:15:59 PM

No way that's worth 800. If you want to upgrade though that wouldn't be a bad a way to do it.
October 20, 2012 10:17:31 PM

Well for four months, it won't hardly be worth as much as you would be selling it now. You could not get $800, as the phenom is around $100 depends what place you are, gpu is a little outdate, only 4gb of ram. You could maybe get $500, stretching $600. Or you could sell the cpu, gpu, and ram, as the other parts are pretty decent. I would sell everything, and when you come back, use the extra money and build a nice PC :) 
Related resources
October 20, 2012 10:26:28 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I thought my prices were a bit high, but you never know, there's someone selling a "gaming" rig for $1600 without a gpu. http://www.usedregina.com/classified-ad/Custom-Desktop-...

I think that the components themselves would go for less, because anyone who knew what to do with them would know how much they're worth. However, I might be able to get 700 for the whole thing since someone who's getting a gaming rig might not know what it's really worth, especially when compared to the ad above.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 20, 2012 10:39:29 PM

Well, if that doesn't get on your conscience :p 
a c 81 B Homebuilt system
October 20, 2012 10:45:51 PM

poutinerocks said:
Thanks for the replies guys. I thought my prices were a bit high, but you never know, there's someone selling a "gaming" rig for $1600 without a gpu. http://www.usedregina.com/classified-ad/Custom-Desktop-...

I think that the components themselves would go for less, because anyone who knew what to do with them would know how much they're worth. However, I might be able to get 700 for the whole thing since someone who's getting a gaming rig might not know what it's really worth, especially when compared to the ad above.

That computer has been posted there since August 15th too.......Don't look to me like peole are lining up to buy it. Honestly a Phenom II and a HD 5850......maybe $450-$500 if you want it to sell sometime this year and that's only because it has an SSD.

Add up the parts new and then subtract 30% right off the bat for being used. Then subtract another 10-20% for each year old it is or could be.
October 20, 2012 10:54:37 PM

anort3 said:
That computer has been posted there since August 15th too.......Don't look to me like peole are lining up to buy it. Honestly a Phenom II and a HD 5850......maybe $450-$500 if you want it to sell sometime this year and that's only because it has an SSD.

Add up the parts new and then subtract 30% right off the bat for being used. Then subtract another 10-20% for each year old it is or could be.

Thanks for all the feedback. With how much you guys are saying I would get for it, and the cost of a new rig, it doesn't seem worth it to sell. It can still game good enough for me, and I don't think that the $500-700 it would cost for a new rig (plus the money from this one) is worth it for the increase in graphics quality.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 22, 2012 2:34:20 PM

if i were you i could leave only the (CASE , PSU , HDD , SSD,OS) and sell the other parts separately and buy new components to refill this pretty case :)  (preferred to be with intel cpu this time)
!