Sign in with
Your question
Solved

[Build Help] I am building a $1,300 gaming PC and need MONITOR HELP

Last response: in Systems
October 20, 2012 11:24:21 PM

So, here is the build I am making: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kie7

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($23.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($387.86 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 600T ATX Mid Tower Case ($133.56 @ Mac Connection)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($139.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1326.33
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

I should be able to run almost any game near max on any monitor. So, with that in mind what kind of monitor should I seek. I would like to spend less than $250 and I am thinking about buying a refurbished to push the limits of what I can afford.

Should I be looking to spend more on size (ie. 27" vs 23/24"), or more on picture quality (IPS), or more on the refresh rate (120 Hz instead of 60 Hz)?

It seems nearly split 50/50 whether or not you can tell the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz. Those who have 120 rave about it those who have 60 Hz say there is no difference because games don't run above 60 FPS generally (not sure if that even matters). Since this whole build is to make a nice gaming computer I would like performance first.

I was also wondering if I got a 27" monitor at 1920 x 1080 would it be a worse picture quality than a 23 or 24" monitor thereby making it worthless? I believe it would depend on how far I sit from the monitor, but I am not sure on that.

I just went to best buy to check out some of these monitors because I have been researching it but it is impossible to tell what I like unless I see them. Unfortunately, they had a tiny sample to look at. What I did seem to notice was I could definitely tell the difference between a 27" monitor compared to a 23/24", but I could not tell the difference between a 23/24" vs a 21.5". Also, I did not notice a deterioration of picture quality between the 27" to the 23/24" monitors however I was relatively far away.

I also loved how the IPS monitor looked. So clear, but I didn't see a game being run so I don't know how much I would like it then.

*I may add additional monitors in the future so VESA support (or whatever it is called) would be a plus.

I guess I should discuss the games I will be playing, which is basically any good game. I don't have genre preferences. I love starcraft 2, CIV games, TOTAL War Games, Battlefield 3, Skyrim, etc. If the game is good I will play it. I am not a genreist.

THANKS GUYS!
October 20, 2012 11:58:44 PM

If you haven't purchased that build yet, switch the case. You would be more than happy with a R4 or a Phantom 410. Use the extra money to buy a GHz edition or better MOBO/CPU cooler/Hard Drive

In your build you have a monitor already selected, just pointing that out.

I would have to go with a ISP, the picture quality is simply amazing and 60HZ is still smooth. The only way I would go 120 would be for 3D gaming.

I'll post some good monitors tomorrow.
m
l
October 21, 2012 12:12:04 AM

mastrom101 said:
If you haven't purchased that build yet, switch the case. You would be more than happy with a R4 or a Phantom 410. Use the extra money to buy a GHz edition or better MOBO/CPU cooler/Hard Drive

In your build you have a monitor already selected, just pointing that out.

I would have to go with a ISP, the picture quality is simply amazing and 60HZ is still smooth. The only way I would go 120 would be for 3D gaming.

I'll post some good monitors tomorrow.

I have already purchased everything except the Monitor, Case, and Optical drive. So, I could cut down on the case spending to get a nicer monitor. The monitor I have listed was just one I picked to give me a estimate of how much my build would cost. I have spent $983 already, so I have some room to adjust between the monitor and case. I really do like the 600T design, but I don't know if I can justify spending that much on a case. However, I figure If I am spending all this money I should really like the case.

I do appreciate your help! Have you used a 120Hz Monitor before? I want to know if you noticed any performance increase from it. I have no intention of 3D gaming, mostly because I have a slightly lazy eye so I can barely see 3D movies/games haha. If I got the 120Hz it would be exclusively for increased performance.
m
l
Related resources
October 21, 2012 12:35:18 PM

The airflow isn't the greatest, with 600T. You can improve it with extra fans. Personally really like the Corsair Cardbide 500R, but cases are obviously a lot about personal preference.
A GOOD 60hz IPS is fine for gaming and other things. CHEAP IPS screens tend to be c**p at everything.
m
l
October 21, 2012 12:53:04 PM

Another reason to go 120Hz monitor is when you're SL/CF-ing cards; it increases your fps cap without tearing. Just saying.

Also, I won't bother with refurbished things if I were you.
m
l

Best solution

October 21, 2012 2:44:09 PM

beegeepee said:
I have already purchased everything except the Monitor, Case, and Optical drive. So, I could cut down on the case spending to get a nicer monitor. The monitor I have listed was just one I picked to give me a estimate of how much my build would cost. I have spent $983 already, so I have some room to adjust between the monitor and case. I really do like the 600T design, but I don't know if I can justify spending that much on a case. However, I figure If I am spending all this money I should really like the case.

I do appreciate your help! Have you used a 120Hz Monitor before? I want to know if you noticed any performance increase from it. I have no intention of 3D gaming, mostly because I have a slightly lazy eye so I can barely see 3D movies/games haha. If I got the 120Hz it would be exclusively for increased performance.

For cases, the two best ~$100 cases are the R4 and phantom 410. They are popular choices for people with budgets of about 1K-2/2.5K as they include many features without being crazy expensive. The R4 is more toned-down but is very quiet, and is good for a work computer. The phantom is more of a gaming case with it's design. Both provide excellent airflow.

Unless you absolutely love the 600T, you can get a cheaper case that performs just as well or better, and put that money towards a better monitor. The R4 comes in three colors and can be purchased with a window, likewise the phantom can be purchased in an assortment of colors. Check them out in every color, you may love one of them.

If you're not even going to consider gaming in 3D, than you limit the uses of 120Hz. I've seen a 120Hz and the difference in smoothness isn't night and day. My monitor is 75Hz and feels really smooth during game-play, but when I play on a 60Hz, the game still feels smooth. Very few people can tell the difference between 120Hz and 60Hz all things equal, so I personally can't support buying one, unless of course you want the possibility of playing in 3d.

IPS monitors look so much better compared to standard monitors. It's hard to really explain it but it truly does look amazing. It's the difference between an old LCD tv and a brand new LED TV, overall it looks better. When you play with max detail, you're going to appreciate the sharpness of the screen.

I personally love dell monitors, and this would be my choice: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also consider: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you decide you want 120HZ, than this would be my choice: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you can't afford to spend that much: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
October 21, 2012 2:57:59 PM

The point where you can tell the "smoothness" difference between a 60Hz and 120Hz is when you have a really powerful graphics processor set.
i.e
Nvidia - 690, 680, 670, SLI 670, etc
AMD - 7950, 7970/GHz, Crossfire 7970Ghz/7950/7870

+1 on the BenQ, it's currently the best bang for buck 120Hz monitor.
The cheaper ACER is okay, but for some reason people have trouble with it.
m
l
October 21, 2012 3:23:21 PM

The only problem with purchasing a 120Hz monitor is the price $400 on a TN panel!! Also keeping you fps around 100-120fps costs money and requires high end hardware for the most part.

Either way you go just keep in mind that IPS is superior to TN, I have the U2412M and its amazing for all kinds of gaming.
m
l
October 28, 2012 12:24:53 AM

Best answer selected by beegeepee.
m
l
!