Computer becomes unresponsive ONLY while playing games.

pugoven

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
Specs:
i5-2500k @ 3.3GHz w/ Cooler Master Hyper 212+
1x4 GB G.Skill Ripjaws RAM
XFX 6950 2GB
ASUS P8Z68-V Gen3 Mobo
SeaSonic M12ii 620W
WD Caviar Blue 500GB 7200RPM
HAF 912
Windows 7 64 Bit

Ever since I built my computer in January 2012, I have been having the same problem where my computer will lock up and become unresponsive only while playing games like BF3, Minecraft, and APB: Reloaded.

First, everything will freeze, then sometimes the audio will stutter very loudly. When I hit the restart button on my case, the computer will instantly shut off and begin rebooting.

I have checked my temperatures for both my CPU and GPU, and well, they worry me. While idling, my CPU core temps sit between 40C - 46C with the Hyper 212+ installed. My GPU temperature sits at 63C while idling. I haven't air dusted my computer, but I vacuumed the air filters on my case.

Does anyone know what could be wrong? I have thought about re-installing Windows, because I went a while without an anti-virus, and my computer is much slower than it was 6 months ago.

It could very well be a video card issue. Try running OCCT (http://www.ocbase.com/). You will want to run the GPU:3D test and set it to your native resolution and then turn on Error Checking. I had a 5870 way back when that was fine while playing some mediocre games like COD MW2. Then when I went to BFBC2 it would artifact and crash the drivers. I usually test my cards as soon as I get them, but for some reason I skipped this one. I ran the test and after it hit a certain temp it would artifact and crash. I returned for a replacement from ASUS.

Your CPU temps are fine. The GPU temps seem high for idle. However, some manufactures just do not have an aggressive fan profile and it idles higher. What is your temp during gaming? The OCCT test will warm it up and let you know what it is cooks to at load. Run it for 15-30 minutes and see what happens.

pugoven

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012

Thank you for the response! I will try running OCCT and will let you know how it goes.

pugoven

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012

It got 22:30 in, and then I got this error message: "CPUTIN over maximum value! Value reached: 127; Max Value: 85"

What does that mean?

That is interesting. And this was during the GPU test that it gave a CPU max value hit? This is a stock clocked CPU, correct? I know with my OC I had to up the max CPU value to 90 because it goes slightly over 85C. You can go into the settings and increase this to 90 or 95C just for your testing (orange gear button). This is an OCCT built in cut off. I believe with a stock cooler an intel chip can get up to 100C depending on ambient temps. I would increase this a bit and run the CPU:OCCT and run it on all cores. Watch the temps. With your cooler it really shouldn't get anywhere near 90 or even probably 80C for that matter at stock clocks. If it does your cooler may very well not be installed properly and making good contact. When it gets hot if it can't transfer heat to the cooler fast enough it will do a thermal shutdown. This is a built in safety mechanism. Do this test and report back.

My suspicion is since you said this has occurred since you built it, that the cooler isn't making good contact and is overheating. Did you use the thermal paste included in the install kit?