Heat problems with Intel Core 2 Quad 6600

teigas

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
A friend of me have an old computer with a Asus Motherboard P5N-E and a intel core 2 quad 6600. Its the boxed intel fan on it, and it also got two cabinett fans (small). When idle the tempratures in cpu z hardware monitor says around 55 - 60 degrees celcius. I tought that was high? I know he had some shut down problems in the past due to heat problems. I have used air to clean the fans, so its clean from dust. But still the high temp.

I dont think he want to spend any money on getting a better cpu cooler, the computer is only used for some web and excel work. So i was thinking about maybe trying to downclock it? Is this possible ? Its 2,4 ghz now. I would not think he would notice if i downclocked it to 2 ghz? Would it be better for the temp problem or will it stay the same?

If it would be better, can sombody tell me what values i need to change in the bios to get it downclocked, so I can give it a try.

Also note that the Q6600 runs rather hot (too hot for its own good).
The stock cooler, even with new thermal paste might not be enought. (note that the longer this goes on, the more probable the CPU will become permanently damaged.

Coolers for Q6600 (socket 775) might be a bit harder to get now, but im sure a cheap one that greatly lowerst the temperature should be around 30-40 dollars.

Thats 2 XXL pizzas :D.

But hard to say, i live in Poland :D.

teigas

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007

No I have not tried to reseat it. I am not sure i have any thermal pasta. Have som 10 year old artic silver i think perhaps. Do i have to clean away the old if i try ? And what should i clean it with and how much pasta should i apply on ?

teigas

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007

I have found coolers that will fit, but I was thinking more about the option of downclocking since i dont need all that ghz? If that is possible?

Is there a way to check if the cpu has been damagde?