Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is an AMD FX 4170 and a GeForce GTX 560 SSC bottlenecking?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 26, 2012 3:13:21 AM

Hey there fellow computer geeks. As the title reads, I want to know if this setup would be considered balanced for a gaming setup. An AMD FX 4170 Quad-Core 4.2GHz Processor, and an EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 560 DS SSC Edition Graphics Card. I haven't bought the components yet. And before any Intel fanboys start blasting me with hate for going with a AMD CPU, don't. Annother thing (OFF TOPIC) Is there a way to tell if a motherboard is DOA before installing components on it? The reason is becuase the motherboard I want has a huge offer going where I get 8 GB of RAM if I buy it now (NewEgg). Thanks in advance for your input and advice.

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
August 26, 2012 3:20:34 AM

1) No, you won't see a bottleneck.

2) I don't think there's anyway to tell if the RAM/Mobo is DOA before you actually get it..hence "Dead on Arrival" :lol: 

3) Great choice on the combo..it's actually a very sick deal :)  Be sure to get something with decent power phases for OC'ing! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a c 109 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
August 26, 2012 3:25:22 AM

No, but get a Phenom II X4 965BE instead.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 26, 2012 3:27:10 AM

^Agreed...I think they're still on sale for $89.99 for a few more hours. You could use the money saved on a Hyper 212+/EVO and OC :) 

August 26, 2012 5:13:15 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies. I just checked like 3 sites for the Phenom 2, didnt see any sales. Where did you see the sales? I'm asking because, for the same price as the Phenom 2 and a Hyper 212+ or the EVO, I could get the 4170 and have the factory clock of 4.2 GHz. I don't have the slightest clu as to how overclocking is done. I know my processor would probably melt if I did. Even if I had one of the best heatsinks on the market. A factory clock of 3.4 isn't bad though. I'm looking for saving money anywhere I can. Also, about the motherboard. I don't mean check to see if its dead before I've even bought it. I meant to see if you can check when it comes in. Like is there anything I can hook it up to?
a c 109 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
August 26, 2012 7:46:51 PM

It's a higher binned chip, regardless the Phenom II 965BE at stock will outperform the FX-4170 which is essentially a higher clocked FX-4100.

All about IPC......
August 26, 2012 8:38:28 PM

Best answer selected by Wolverine Gamer.
!