Computer shuts down randomly

lareau12

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Hello,
My computer shuts down randomly. When I turn computer back on I get the message that the computer shut down due to over heating. However I am running CPUID Hardware Monitor which I think looks fine before it shuts down. I have replaced the CPU Fan and heat sink twice within a year and each time I replace it computer doesn't shut down until about 6 months later. I refuse to think that my CPU fan is going that fast. I have cleaned out the fans and it still will shut down.

TMPIN1 running between 37 - 38c
TMPIN2 running between 55-58c

Fanino RPMS 1818 - 2392
Fanin1 RPMS 973 - 1278

Core 0 50-60c
Core 1 50-60c
Core 2 50-60c
Core 3 50-60c

NVIDIA Air Flow 33-36c

PWM Fan runs at 90%

My computer is a HP Model P6404y
AMD 4 core Phantom 925

Running 2 hard drives, Just installed a new hard drive as the other one is going and copied the operating system and data on the new hard drive.

I also am running and external hard drive and external CD writer.

I also recently replaced the video card as the video kept shutting down. I replaced it with a NVIDIA Geforece GT 620

Computer has 8g of mem

Running Windows 7

Please help so that I can replace the part that is needed. I am thinking of buying another CPU fan and Heatsink but maybe a more powerful one or liquid cool if they make it for my processor. But really don't want to purchase one if there is something else wrong.

Thank you in advance

MC_K7

Distinguished
I also suspect a temperature problem. Maybe the readings aren't good.

There's something I don't understand, on idle you're 50-60C which is way too high, and under load you say it never get past 63C? That doesn't make sense, usually the difference between idle and load is around 30C. So if you're idle at 60C, under load it could get as high as 90C and above which could cause the PC to shut down. That's what I suspect but I could be wrong.

lareau12

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
I was just wondering if the power supply could be going bad. When I feel the back of the computer there isn't much air coming from the power supply. I was going to see if a power supply from a spare computer will work in mine and try that. As for the Core temps I am going by what the reading are in CPUID Hardware Monitor. Matter a fact, my computer just shut down a couple of minutes ago and the Core temps were only 55c which isn't hot enough to shut the computer down. I have run other programs for the CPU temps and they are all the same. As of right now running only Google Chrome the temps fluctuate between 42c to 49c. The TMPINO is 36-39c and the TMPIN1 is 38-47c. The GPU is 35-44c and the fans are flucuating at the following

FANINO 1796-1950 rmps
FANIN1 962-1064 rmps

The Power Package is flucuating between 33.60w - 102.60w

The VINO is steady at 1.664v
The VIN1 is steady at 1.672v
The VIN2 is steady at 1.592v

Hard drives are running at 31-37c

MC_K7

Distinguished
There's a place in the BIOS where you can monitor temps, under "Power Management" or something. When the computer shuts down, quickly restart it and enter the BIOS not letting time for the temps to cool down. Check reading from the BIOS to make sure it matches Hardware Monitor.

But if it's not a temp problem, trying with a different PSU is a good idea. Other than that, I'm not sure what could make a computer shuts down, I think if it would be a RAM problem it would reboot and not shut down. Maybe a bad CPU could cause it to shut down though.

lareau12

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
My problem was never solved. My computer would shut down even though Core Temp wasn't as hot as the max temp of 70c. I did redo the heat sink and fan with new thermal paste which didn't do the job. Replaced the power supply to a more power one which didn't work either. I did buy a better fan but didn't get a chance to put it in yet and was thinking that the problem was with my motherboard. It would shut down when it was in the 60's c. The strange thing is that my computer crashed yesterday with the BSOD and I was unable to restore to a previous one, nor was it able to repair. There was no way to get to safe mode to know if it would load that way. So I ended up re-installing Win 7. Now the strange thing is that now that I re installed Win 7 the temps are actually running more normal between 33c - 40c. I was wondering why would the temps finally be normal after installing Win 7? Does anyone know why?

lareau12

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Now that I re-installed win 7 I have a new problem. The computer randomly re-boots while my daughter is playing Minecraft or Sims 3. I haven't played the game I play on the pc since I re-installed win 7. I replaced the power supply to a more powerfull one 600w, heatsink was redone. Computer diagnostics shows nothing wrong with the computer the memory even passed. The CPU temps run between 30c to 50c.

My computer is a HP Pavilion quad core with a phenom 925 processor.
8g of ram,
1 terabite hdd,
600 w powersupply
internal and external dvd drives
external hdd
Epson nx110 printer

Please advise