Uestion about i5 3470 turbo boost

taylorswift

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
I'm just wondering if there is a way to keep the turbo boost always on instead of it dropping to the 3.2ghz all the time. (of course I would make sure my temperatures were safe)

And if there is a way,how would I go about doing it? In the BIOS somewhere? This is my first build so bare with me lol. Thanks!

- Brittany

Turbo Boost will only apply itself when the CPU needs that extra performance, it is effectively overclocking itself when it needs to.

Far as I know, there isn't a way to force the Turbo Boost to stay active. You can however make its 3.2Ghz base frequency as constant, but I really don't see the point of it though.
A CPU will down-clock itself to save power and reduce heat output when its not in use, then will ramp back up when the performance is needed.

I suppose if you wanted to force a constant 3.6Ghz (the 3470 turbo boost), you could get a 3570k, clock it that high (which is a pretty minimal overclock of 200Mhz) and force that as a constant.

taylorswift

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
Unfortunately my budget couldn't afford it. Although I'm already regretting not getting the 3570k. I was wondering after recieving the 3470,if I don't like it, can I return it and pay the difference for a 3570k?

(bought from newegg)

Depends on where you got if they will refund it simply because you changed your mind.
All the computer stores I have dealt with don't though, but maybe your retailer will.

According to the product page of the 3470.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115234&Tpk=3470
Says at the bottom it is non-refundable, can only send it back for a replacement if its DOA. If you have only ordered it recently, you may want to cancel the order.

TRENDING THREADS