Currently I have a GTX 460 1GB 256-bit version. It plays every game I want at good settings and smooth framerates. I just noticed how ridiculously powerful these new graphics cards are and I keep thinking I want one. The thing about it though is that I don't want to be out $300-$400 and then not notice a difference in my games. I love getting new hardware though.

michaeljhuman

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012
Sounds like you don't need it - you want it. Different situations :)

You do imply that maybe you could play on better settings when you say good settings rather than the highest settings. So there's one possible reason to justify new card.

everyone has some level that they feel comfortable with. the 460 can generally play stuff. the only thing that I would believe it cant do as well as play really heavy anti-aliasing games under max settings. the games in question are the minority when it comes to games as a whole, but some users want to max everything regardless of games. right now, I kinda want to aesthetically upgrade my computer(visual looks from outside and inside) and is putting a bit more priority rather than upgrading my hardware since I'm not a total max everything out freak.

I'm more or less content on what a 2gb 7850 can do respectfully. If i could have one minor thing graphically, it would be like a 550ti for hacked physx

Well, if you dont feel you need the card, then you might as well not get it. I've got a 460 256-bit as well, and I probably wont upgrade until about a year or two. Its still a fast card, and that's alot coming from me, as I actually downgraded to this card from a reference HD6950 (long story)

carlosb

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
I havent seen games graphics get a whole lot better since last year (I blame consoles). So why would you want a new card that games dont take full advantage of? Sure Crysis 3 looks nice and all but is it really worth it? There's plenty other games that your card will run at the very highest settings with a decent frame rate. Wait till the next generation of games and when you notice your card cant run them at high settings then get a new card. By then the next gen GPU's (700 series if you would like) will be out and you will have made a better investment.