khizaraq

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
Hey Guys
I currently have networked two computers

here is some of their relative information

ASUS P6T (Using OnBoard Gigabit LAN)
Windows = Windows 7 64BIT

ASUS P7H55-V (Using onboard Gigabit LAN)
Windows = Windows Home Server

Using USB Cable Modem on Windows 7 as well

Ok now problem is I connected both the computers through a direct cable, everything is ok netwokring is ok I can access copy files but it is showing me only 100 mbps connection not gigabyte (1GBPS connection)

I am not sure what is happening

I have given STATIC IP to both computers not using any sort of router to connect them both.

Would be grateful to be helped. Thank you

Caldrumr

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011

Are you using a CAT6 cable?
Also, try the following:
In the Control Panel, click on Network and Internet, then View Network Status and Tasks. On the left-hand side, click on Change Adapter Settings.
Right-click your connection, and click Properties. Under the connection name, click Configure.
Link Status should say Speed: 1.0Gbps/Full Duplex on both systems.
Make sure Speed and Duplex is either set to Auto Negotiation or 1Gbps Full Duplex.

khizaraq

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
I am not sure about the cable but I have tried two different cables bth are giving me the same .
I don't see the options you are talking about when I click configure

EDIT:
Ok I got a CAT 5E cable now its showing 1GBPS I guess cable issues. Thank You for the help :)

Caldrumr

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011

My pleasure! If you have any other issues with it, try using a shielded CAT6 cable. Enjoy your speed!

khizaraq

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
Shielded CAT 6, ok i will try getting that on this cable I am getting around 60 - 80 with burst at 100 mbps is that good? or will CAT increase it more cause I think hard drive caps it too

Caldrumr

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
Yeah, it's all about the hard drive. If you think you are having issues with the speed, try upgrading to a CAT6, but if it is running at gigabit speeds, I wouldn't worry about it. Especially if you are using mechanical hard drives, I would say the numbers you are stating there are about standard. When copying files between two 7,200 RPM hard drives, I get about 70-100 MBps average.
Use a drive meter to test the transfer rate. I usually create an empty file of about five gigabytes, and transfer that for test. If you need help on how to create an empty file, let me know.
But overall, I'd say you are probably getting the most out of your connection right now.

khizaraq

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
Ok I have another werid issue. When copying file I have a WINDOWS 7 NETWORK ACTIVITY monitor, it reads the copying speed as 90MBPS - 110 for about 15 seconds and then drops to 0 for 3 4 seconds. And then again the same loop continues

In my WHS Server I have all 7200 RPM Caviar Green Drives and am copying from a Caviar Green too

WHS Server the pool has 2x2TB Caviar green and 2x1TB Caviar Green Drives

Any idea why this issue might arise? Also I noted that the Network Activity meter works correclty as for 3 4 seconds there is no transfer in the file as well.

Caldrumr

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
That's interesting. Trying using a third-party drive monitor, and see if you get the same problem. Those monitors can also have some odd results. Try counting the time yourself as well, to see if the actual time it takes is represented by what the drive monitor is stating.