Can I Change My CPU/GPU On My Laptop?

cyberman1

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
I have a HP Pavillion G6-1220sa. It has a AMD A8-3500m processor with an AMD Radeon 6620g discreet class graphics card. I was wondering if that meant I could change my Graphics card and/or my processor. If my graphics card is intergrated could I change/upgrade the whole thing?
Also, is it soldered onto the motherboard and if it is, is there any way to get it off?

Since the AMD A8-3500m (Llano APU) has both the CPU and GPU core in it, it is technically possible to upgrade the integrated graphics by replacing the A8-3500m with a more powerful Llano APU. That assumes the motherboard's BIOS will support a more powerful Llano APU. That also assumes the APU is not soldered into the motherboard.

How do you determine if it is soldered in? You need to open up your laptop.

How do you remove it if it is soldered in? You need to unsolder it by hand. There are a total of 722 pins.

How you do find out if the HP and accept a more powerful Llano APU? Google around to find the different configurations of that laptop model.

doxtor

Honorable
Apr 5, 2013
you've got Socket FS1 processor a8-3500m with 35w package
you are trying to fit Socket FS1 (FS1r2) a10-4600m with the same package

i think cpu may not start (try to research differences of that sockets)

the only cpu that will work for sure is A8-3520M )
the top cpu of FS1 socket is a8-3550mx (http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-A8-Series%20A8-3550MX.html) the negative side of this cpu is 45w package that can overheat or overload your m/b