what's difference between the audigy and SB Live?

davesdaman

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2002
what's the big difference between the SB Live X-Gamer and the audigy gamer sound card? right now I have a SB Live gamer and Im happy with it but, I'm building a new system and I'm thinking of puting an Audigy in it. anybody know?

boulderhard

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2001
The main difference is the audigy supports 24bit playback. Although there is not much out there if anything that is 24bit (yet) so at this point stick with your live! card. The audigy does run a little bit lower as far as system resources go but with the speed of todays processors it reallydoesn't make a difference. The audigy also has a built in firwire (IEEE1394) port on the back which can be usefull if you hvae the use for it. Audigy also has better XP drivers. Thats it :) so if you have the use for the new features get the audigy. (o and btw live! has advanced eax and hd support too..that didn't change)
peace.

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
40 bucks more for audigy
bulkier but slightly better drivers on audigy
slightly less resources hogged with audigy
Advanced EAX HD with audigy which only two games use currently.
"24 bit" playback...yea...you figure out how thats worth a @@@@ thing.
The circuit board looks slightly cooler than the Live.
My grandmother likes the name of the audigy.
My dog cant stand either after hearing the Santa Cruz / GTXP.
Live often fails to work, Audigy sometimes squeals itself to death on certain configurations.

Brought to you by a former creative fanboy...what WAS i thinking.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Brought to you by a former creative fanboy...what WAS i thinking.
The biggest step in your recovery is admitting that you had this problem. You're not alone. I've been there myself and I feel your pain.

I can't think of a good signature so I'll use this one.

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
No more pain...GTXP quite soothing :smile: :smile: :smile:

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
Disregarding specs and going fully from the ear experience, the Audigy is definitely more impressive. I've got both.
I fully agree with this statement. I used a Live! 5.1 for a year and it was decent, but the Audigy blows it away.

Ritesh