Sign in with
Your question

Brand New UK Build ($1100)

Last response: in Systems
October 21, 2012 1:06:31 PM

Hi All

Have spent the last couple of days visiting fantastic websites such as this, in order to research how I might go about putting together my very first, self-built gaming PC. I have come up with the attempt below and would appreciate any feedback you may have regarding the build e.g. compatibility issues, poor value, missing components etc.

The PC will be used primarily for gaming, occasional browsing and the streaming of football matches from time to time. My current 5 year old MAC is incapable of doing any of the above, even remotely well, particularly gaming, and when I hear of people talking of a constant 60 fps in-game, I can only dream of what that might be like, hence the build!

I will most likely OC at some point in the future (after a lot more research on my part), but am less likely to install a second graphics card.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K (£168.61 @ CCL Computers)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 (£26.65 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£104.12 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£29.76 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£56.10 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (£239.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V (£49.98 @ Novatech)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£11.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case - Still looking, but will likely spend about $80, recommendations most welcome
OS- Will buy Windows 7
Monitor, keyboard etc. not required at this time.

Total: £687.17 ($1100)

One of my main concerns is whether the 550W PSU I have chosen will be sufficient for moderate overclocking in the future. I did spend quite a while debating whether to spend an extra $40 to buy a 750W PSU on the chance that I decided to crossfire at some point.

I have not chosen an SSD as my budget is $1200 or less (excluding OS) and load times do not overly concern me if it means I can spend more on a GPU.

I am open to suggestion regarding which 7950 brand to choose. I have gone with the MSI Twin Frozr because here in the UK it is the cheapest of the brands I have seen recommended (with the exception of the XFX version, but which was poorly reviewed). I will do a little more searching but may consider the Sapphire and HIS brands as these are the two most likely to be at prices approaching that of the MSI here in the UK.

Thank you.

More about : brand build 1100

October 21, 2012 1:36:09 PM

If you're sure you won't be Crossfiring in the future, drop the z77 Extreme4 and get a z75 Pro3.

Yes 550w would be enough to power a single GPU.

MSI is fine. Twin Frozr is a good cooler.
I'm surprised though that XFX had bad reviews there. They are generally a good manufacturer.

I suggest any of these cases.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006TVQTHW/?tag=pcp0f-21
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004ALI5KC/?tag=pcp0f-21
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cooler-master-cm-690-ii-...
October 21, 2012 4:25:40 PM

Have attached a review below, although this might be a little out of date. It's not an expression widely used in the UK, but the term "bummer" was used to describe the XFX, which I sort of got the gist of! Pity because this version is significantly cheaper in the UK than any others, although the review may explain why.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5476/amd-radeon-7950-revi...

Thank you for the case suggestions. I particularly like the look of the Antec.

Still haven't come to a definitive decision about future Crossfiring, but I guess to keep that option open I should be thinking about buying a 750W PSU? I did try to build in a bit of flexibility, but may have limited this by going for the 550W.

The case is a little over what i would like to pay, but if I drop the Extreme4 for the Pro3 this balances itself nicely. Then again, I could go for the cheaper case and buy a 750W power supply. Decisions, decisions.....

Thanks again for your help.
Related resources
October 21, 2012 6:59:37 PM

Thank you.

Am actually leaning towards the Phantom 410. NZXT do seem to be my preferred manufacturer as I also like their H2 Classic and LeXa S cases, although I haven't read so much about these, whereas I know that the 410 is very well reviewed. The Fractal Design R3 is also very appealing for its simple looks.

Have decided to keep the Crossfire option open and will stick with the Extreme4 and buy a 750w PSU.

Thanks for your help.
October 21, 2012 10:21:42 PM

Loubu01 said:
Thank you.

Am actually leaning towards the Phantom 410. NZXT do seem to be my preferred manufacturer as I also like their H2 Classic and LeXa S cases, although I haven't read so much about these, whereas I know that the 410 is very well reviewed. The Fractal Design R3 is also very appealing for its simple looks.

Have decided to keep the Crossfire option open and will stick with the Extreme4 and buy a 750w PSU.

Thanks for your help.

Both are excellent choices. Fractal Design cases have excellent build quality and air flow.
!