Diagnosis of computer problem

JesperTP1985

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
Hello, recently I've started experiencing problems when I play computer games. When I start up WoW, SC2 or D3 the game will run for 5-15 minutes before suddenly going to a black or green screen. The speakers let out a loud noise that keeps going until I power off the machine.

The computer was bought and assembled in june.

Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.40GHz
Club 3d Radeon HD 7850
No Soundcard
Samsung SSD 830 Series
Kingston HyperX Genesis 2 x 4GB
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
Corsair Enthusiast Series Modular TX650M

I have 1 time encountered a problem where it seemed as if the screen stopped recieving input from the computer and sort of went black (while not playing computer) and the screen did what it usually does when it is turned on and the computer is turned off. Music did keep coming from the speakers in that scenario but I wasn't able to close the browser with alt+F4.

What could be my problem and how can I fix it?

Thanks in advance
Jesper

Lokordd

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
I would try updating all drivers, especially on your MB and graphics card. Not really sure that one really sounds like a pickle, maybe even a bios update. It could be a bad part on the mobo or gphx card that is tanking after it heats up under load. Do you have another card, or can you run a game on integrated graphics to at least eliminate the card as the problem?

JesperTP1985

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
Lokordd: My gfx drivers are up to date, I'll try checking the MB drivers. I guess I could try running it on intregrated. I'll get back to you both if it doesn't work out for me.

cmichael138: I have not checked the temp of the GPU? How does one do that? (I'm pretty sure it's not the temperature, the computer should be able to handle WoW without a problem... and it can happen like 5 mins after launching the game).

Thanks for the responses so far, please keep them coming :)

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Your computer is crashing obviously, to see if its a windows problem go in the event viewer in your control panel > administrative tools
If the only errors you see is "computer shut down unexpectedly" then suspect a hardware problem.
If not then windows should be able to give you clues in there, like the video card for example.

JesperTP1985

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
After updating my MB and GPU drivers I gave it a try again, this time it crashed right as I logged in. The loud buzzing sound from the speakers persisted and I let it go for a little while. After a few seconds the fan(s) in computer went off at max speed. Very strange stuff.

JesperTP1985

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
Okay, så I run the temperature check and it says 26.0 degrees celcius right as I launch WoW and it crashes. So I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with temperature.

I ran a disk check, it didn't come up with any status... so I guess nothing is wrong?