Closed Solved

Wireless router - Wired works but wireless doesn't?

About 6 months ago I bought a new router (Linksys E1000 v2.1) which worked great right out of the box. A couple months later I tried to setup a home network so that my two laptops could access a shared drive on my wired desktop, but for some reason they didn't show up as being on the same network. All computers involved are running Windows 7 if that matters.

Upon a recommendation from I friend I put DD-WRT on the router and it worked fine. Setup MAC filtering and WPA2 Personal security. This worked fine for about 4 months until today.

When I got home from work today I noticed my laptop wouldn't pull up any web pages, but it said it was connected. Then I noticed my iPhone wasn't connected either. I restarted my laptop and then it wouldn't connect to the wireless either (I could see the wireless, but I would get a Could not Connect error when I tried to connect to it).

I went to my desktop and it is working just fine, it is plugged into the back of the router. I also have an AT&T MicroCell (cell phone booster) that is plugged in to the back of the router and it works fine too.

I removed the encryption and MAC filtering, but that didn't help. I then reset to factory (or "factory" DD-WRT) and now the wireless works, but it is MUCH slower than my desktop. I ran a speedtest on my desktop and got 12 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. On my laptop, I get 0.03 Mbps down and 0.25 Mbps up.

Any ideas?
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about wireless router wired works wireless doesn
  1. Best answer
    The wireless hardware could be failing.
  2. Ended up just flashing back to the stock firmware and it is working fine now.
  3. Best answer selected by chmcke01.
  4. This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Wireless Router Routers Wireless Networking