Sign in with
Your question
Solved

AMD and Intel

Last response: in Systems
October 21, 2012 2:55:05 PM

I am thinking of building another system.....it has been at least 5 years so I am a bit out of date.
Usage will be primarily for Photoshop (still photography)....maybe some gaming.

I know that AMD is less expensive but I also believe that Intel CPUs include a GPU, and AMD does not.
If that is the case then I would need to add a separate GPU to the AMD build, but not necessarily to the Intel build.....am I totally off base?

The CPUs I am considering are the i7-3770 and FX-8120.

More about : amd intel

a b å Intel
October 21, 2012 3:40:59 PM

Both companies make CPUs with integrated graphics (AMD calls these "APUs"). All but a few mainstream Intel chips have made the transition while AMD is introducing new lines with integrated graphics while for the time being maintaining (phasing out) traditional CPUs without graphics.

For integrated AMD "APUs" look at the A-series chips on socket FM1 or the newer FM2. Intel features faster CPU cores despite higher clock speeds on AMD chips while AMD has far superior graphics.
m
l
October 21, 2012 3:43:56 PM

SchizTech said:
Both companies make CPUs with integrated graphics (AMD calls these "APUs"). All but a few mainstream Intel chips have made the transition while AMD is introducing new lines with integrated graphics while for the time being maintaining (phasing out) traditional CPUs without graphics.

For integrated AMD "APUs" look at the A-series chips on socket FM1 or the newer FM2. Intel features faster CPU cores despite higher clock speeds on AMD chips while AMD has far superior graphics.

Thanks for the reply....so, for the intended use, given price/performance considerations which would you suggest? AMD or Intel-based?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b å Intel
October 21, 2012 5:26:44 PM

I guess that depends on your budget. A "best of both worlds" setup includes an Intel CPU with a discrete AMD or Nvidia graphics card, giving the most compute power though at a somewhat higher cost of course. On a lower budget a higher-tier APU might be "good enough" for graphics-oriented work.
October 21, 2012 5:30:26 PM

Ah, so it seems that from a pure CPU perspective, Intel is preferred....that really is what I was looking for. As I may do some gaming with this pc, it is possible that I may add a graphics card later on, or if needed for Photoshop.....is this what you intended?
m
l
a b å Intel
October 21, 2012 5:34:44 PM

You seem to have the gist of it.
m
l
October 21, 2012 5:37:17 PM

Best answer selected by vwcrusher.
m
l
a b å Intel
October 21, 2012 5:43:57 PM

That ought to do fine. If/when the time comes to add the video card that 550 W PSU should be enough for most single cards too.
m
l
a b å Intel
October 21, 2012 5:45:57 PM

Looks like a pretty good deal on a 128 GB SSD for that price.
m
l
October 21, 2012 5:51:56 PM

Thanks....for graphics card, I was thinking of GeForce GTX 650Ti for maybe the 660....
m
l
!