Upgrading my XFX 1GB HD6850 thinking of going nVidia

Hello everyone,

I'm playing more games on my PC then I thought I would, but games like Borderlands etc; start with 'nVidia - The Way It's Meant To Be Played'.

I know that seems like a stupid reason to upgrade my graphics card but I have been thinking for a while of doing so and thinking of going nVidia. As they say they have better drivers, correct me if I'm wrong :kaola:

So my question is what nVidia card is on par with the HD6850? Or better yet what card is better then my HD6850? So it can run more newer games; CoD, BF3, Need for Speed, Batman etc; I'm not to bothered about being able to run on MAX but would like to run on High with playable framerates.

Regards,

Kieran
13 answers Last reply
More about upgrading hd6850 thinking nvidia
  1. This chart should help you out. In my opinion, Nvidia does have better drivers and are much more user friendly.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html
  2. Thanks kantanadude that has helped me out indeed.

    So if I've read that chart correctly, it looks like to get a noticeable upgrade I have to get nVidia's GTX580 or AMD's HD7950 if I was to stay with them.

    Looks like I have to do some shopping around thanks for your help again! :)
  3. At least a GTX 660 Ti.
  4. willyroc said:
    At least a GTX 660 Ti.


    Okay thankyou for your suggestion, I'm going to do some shopping around and see what I can find! :)
  5. It's not really a stupid idea to switch to nvidia, since the whole PhysX thing is really good:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWFkDrKvBRU

    As for being on part with HD 6850, I'd say it would be GTX 560 SE. However, if you get GTX 660 Ti, it will be a huge upgrade.
  6. Sunius said:
    It's not really a stupid idea to switch to nvidia, since the whole PhysX thing is really good:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWFkDrKvBRU

    As for being on part with HD 6850, I'd say it would be GTX 560 SE. However, if you get GTX 660 Ti, it will be a huge upgrade.


    Thankyou for your reply, you can tell the difference quite well actually but I'm not stuck between these two cards;

    ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti DirectCU II 2048MB GDDR5;

    http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/nvidiageforcegraphicscards/nvidiagtx660tikeplerseries/gtx660ti-dc2-2gd5.html

    XFX AMD Radeon HD 7950 Double D Black Edition 3072MB GDDR5

    http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/atiradeongraphicscards/amdhd7950series/fx-795a-tdbc.html

    I know I said I'll go to nVidia but this XFX card really grabbed my attention. What would you guys choose out of these two?

    Regards,

    Kieran
  7. I'd take the Asus GTX 660 Ti. It has great cooling, and the performance isn't far away from HD 7950. Plus, it's cheaper. Better purchase for your money, plus you get nvidia extras.
  8. Sunius said:
    I'd take the Asus GTX 660 Ti. It has great cooling, and the performance isn't far away from HD 7950. Plus, it's cheaper. Better purchase for your money, plus you get nvidia extras.


    Okay dokie, think my mind has been made up, as well for the better drivers and stuff I guess it's all a plus. They are other models on that site that have higher clocks and a little cheaper but I guess the ASUS one would be best wouldn't it? For the DirectII CU Cooler?

    Regads,

    Kieran
  9. Not really, I just said about Asus because you linked it :) after having checked out the site, I'd say the best one is this one:

    http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/nvidiageforcegraphicscards/nvidiagtx670keplerseries/msin670gtxpe2gd5oc.html
  10. Sunius said:
    Not really, I just said about Asus because you linked it :) after having checked out the site, I'd say the best one is this one:

    http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/nvidiageforcegraphicscards/nvidiagtx670keplerseries/msin670gtxpe2gd5oc.html


    Now is that me or is that a link to a MSi GTX670? And not a GTX660 Ti as the one that has been linked is well out of my pricerange lol.

    Regards,

    Kieran
  11. I messed up again :D Sorry!

    This one is better than Asus:

    http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/nvidiageforcegraphicscards/nvidiagtx660tikeplerseries/gv-n66toc-2gd.html

    This one is probably the best, but it's more expensive (though, it contains free Borderlands 2):

    http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/nvidiageforcegraphicscards/nvidiagtx660tikeplerseries/n660tipe2gd5oc.html

    Asus one isn't bad, it's one of the cheapest ones. All of them are decent as long as they have custom coolers!
  12. Sunius said:
    I messed up again :D Sorry!

    This one is better than Asus:

    http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/nvidiageforcegraphicscards/nvidiagtx660tikeplerseries/gv-n66toc-2gd.html

    This one is probably the best, but it's more expensive (though, it contains free Borderlands 2):

    http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/nvidiageforcegraphicscards/nvidiagtx660tikeplerseries/n660tipe2gd5oc.html

    Asus one isn't bad, it's one of the cheapest ones. All of them are decent as long as they have custom coolers!


    It's okay buddy! :D

    Now out of them two I was looking earlier at that MSi one and some of the reviews on it are great, apparently the cooler is really good. It looks really nice too, and I was thinking do I pay the extra money and get that one. Because with it's triple voltage thingy it can apparently overclock very well too.
  13. That's the exact reason MSI one is very good. Remember, it comes with Borderlands 2 as well :).
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Games Nvidia Graphics