Building a new PC in a budget of SGD600

diabolic123

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
I'm building a new PC since my old one is a piece of junk. The old PC has been with me for 3 years and I decided to build a new one for some decent gaming.

Here's my new PC that I might get.

Motherboard : Gigabyte B75M-D3V / Asus P8Z77-M

Processor: i5 - 3330 3.2GHz

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550ti / Palit GTX 550 1Gb DDR5

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz kit 8Gb

PSU: Cooler Master GX Lite 500W / Cooler Master Extreme 475W

Case: Not sure what case should I get for my mobo compatibility, any suggestions for a good airflow?

-I'm reusing my old HDD though, will it be fine?

-Those are my choices for my new PC, will it work fine with the plans I've made?

Opinions will be appreciated :)

diabolic123

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Plus,

Not buying a monitor

Not buying an OS

Any parts will do and I will find it out, as long as it suits the PC well. :)

Parts preference: Those that are well-known and trusted.

Overclocking: Nope

SLI or Crossfire: SLI, no. Crossfire, what is that and not planning to...

Your Monitor Resolution: 1440 x 900

zared619

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2012
You are limiting your GPU power. You would be better off to get an i3-3220 and a 660 or a 7850. MSI or ASUS make the best graphics cards.

Cooler master makes makes good PSU's, but Corsair of XFX would be better. 500 watts is probably exactly what you would want.

You can re-use your HDD. Im assuming it uses a sata connection not a serial connector. If you are unsure what they look like, just google them.

Being that you are in Singapore, I don't know which cases you have available to you, but I will make some recommendations.
http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/product-cooler-master-elite-311-plus
http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/product-antec-nine-hundred-gaming-case
http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/product-antec-one-hundred-window/retailers

They are all great cases, it just depends on what you want.

Finally, SLI is the term used for using two Nvidia cards. Crossfire is the term for using two AMD cards. At your budget, you can't really afford it.
Hope this all helps

malbluff

Honorable
The first slight problem, I'm having, is working out where you are, or what SGD in your budget are. I know it's going to be really obvious, when I know. Anyway, in general.
For a locked i5, if you don't want SLi/crossfire (2 graphics card), then a H77 mobo is ideal. An ASRock H77M is fairly basic, but good value, if you don't want a lot of features. Asus P8H77-M is nice, but more expensive. To be honest, would "normally" recommend i5-3450 as good budget processor choice. Not tried the one you suggest, to know how it compares.
To be frank, if you want "better" gaming, even the GTX550Ti is fairly feeble. You don't need very powerful graphics, but even the slightly more expensive HD7770, or GTX 650Ti would be a lot better.
Ideally avoid CoolerMaster, at least for power supplies. They are not reliable. Once exact graphics card is sorted, can advise on specific GPU.
Almost any Mid-tower ATX case would be suitable, as you're not putting anything really demanding in it. Front USB 3.0 is nice, but not vital, and a lot of budget cases don't have it. I could suggest a couple, but cases are so much about personal preference, it may be better for you to pick a couple you like the "look" of, and we can say if one is substantialy "better"

diabolic123

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012

I'm getting either of those 2 mobos due to the space it provides between the PCI-E and the PCI-E x16, I do need a reserved space for a PCI for my wireless adapter due to a dual slot GPU which I'm afraid it won't fit and provide a good airflow for the GPU.

diabolic123

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012

Alright, will do.

Regarding HDD, yes it's a SATA.

For PSUs, how about Antec or Seasonic? Would they do better than CM?

Thanks for the info btw :)

malbluff

Honorable
Antec, Seasonic, PC Power&Cooling, Corsair, XFX all have good PSU's, better than CoolerMaster. CoolerMaster are OK for cases, and coolers. Seasonic make some of the very best PSU's, but often a bit pricey. Obviously depends on "local" availability.

zared619

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2012

+1

Cooler master is like malbluff said OK, and if other options are ridiculously more expensive, then stick with CM. However, the brands the malbluff mentioned are not too far off, and may even be cheaper. They offer better quality as well.

diabolic123

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012

To summarize everything up: Will my specs will work fine with a PSU around 475-500W?

Btw, typo error there. CPU will be a i5-3470 3.2GHz... Won't be bottleneck with my GPU, right? ( GTX 550 ti )

malbluff

Honorable
500w PSU is fine, ideally decent quality.
Processor won't bottleneck virtually ANY graphics card, certainly not GTX550Ti. I would suggest you consider a slightly better graphics card. Where I am (of course may be different for you), something like an MSI HD7770 GHz edition, is CHEAPER than most GTX550Ti's, and a decent bit better.

diabolic123

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012

Generally, I go for NVIDIA rather than AMD. So yeah, it'll be fine :)

Jolow99

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
Hey i just went to sim lim square 2 days ago and built my pc
i5 3470
Asus P8B75-m LE
Palit Geforce 2gb DDR3
Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 4gbx2
WD Blue 7200RPM 1TB
530W Thermal Take PSU
Random Drivebay
TP-Link WDN 4800 pcie wifi adapter
Sharkoon T28
Windows 7
The total cost for all this is $1010 i bought it from video pro in sim lim square you can download their price lists online.

diabolic123

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
hey guys, would like to thank you guys for the help, PC is up and running for 3 years now from the date i posted it. works wonderfully ! could not have done without you guys. Cheers to everyone here !

zared619

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2012

That's great to hear. I read my post and wondered why on earth I recommended a 660 or a 7850, then I looked at the date :lol:

I'm glad we could help you out mate.
Cheers.