Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Mid/low budget PC build

Tags:
  • Build
  • Computer
  • Productivity
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
October 21, 2012 4:21:26 PM

if you are reading this, you may have answered some of my other questions or responded to previous builds.

I was just wondering about what you think about this build for a dual screen productivity computer with room for improvement? are there any beneficial changes to that keeps it under 750? 800 tops, but preferably under 750 : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kY9M

More about : mid low budget build

October 21, 2012 4:43:14 PM

Nothing really glaringly off. Perhaps the 912 Plus case instead. Looks good.
m
0
l
October 21, 2012 4:57:36 PM

lxgoldsmith said:
if you are reading this, you may have answered some of my other questions or responded to previous builds.

I was just wondering about what you think about this build for a dual screen productivity computer with room for improvement? are there any beneficial changes to that keeps it under 750? 800 tops, but preferably under 750 : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kY9M


I'd switch the mobo for the ASRock Extreme 4, the memory for corsair vengeance, the SSD for crucial M4, the case for the CM Storm Enforcer, and use

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

to calculate how much power you need total (you didn't include a discrete GPU, so 550 W is more then enough).

BUT that's just my opinion. Choose what you like! Here are the links if you need em:

http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/part/asrock-motherboard-z77e...

http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/part/corsair-memory-cml8gx3m...

http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/part/crucial-internal-hard-d...

http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/part/cooler-master-case-sgc1...
m
0
l
Related resources
October 21, 2012 5:09:46 PM

If you really don't nead a graphics card it looks great.
m
0
l
October 22, 2012 1:33:22 AM

why does pcpartpicker think I'm in Canada now?
m
0
l
October 22, 2012 2:00:43 AM

switched to asrock, as they are the same price, patriot RAM is cheaper & "Intel approved", crucial m4 was cheaper, but is no longer on sale, cm storm enforcer looks great, but tell me if its worth he extra $15-40. currently a $25 MIR with it, usually 85-90
m
0
l
October 22, 2012 2:12:34 AM

I wouldnt get Asrock now. Its a an inch or so shorter than normal ATX boards, so Id say stay with the Gigabyte for this build.

If you can, get a Vertex 4 for your SSD. Its one of the fastest out now. Its priced at $100 if my memory serves me right.
m
0
l
October 22, 2012 4:08:35 AM

^The asrock is a good board
If the enforcer is on sale then get it.
Samsung 830 would be a better choice
m
0
l
October 22, 2012 5:31:55 AM

I know its a good board but if the OP wants that inch more of space, go GB.
m
0
l
October 22, 2012 10:50:16 AM

lxgoldsmith said:
why does pcpartpicker think I'm in Canada now?


That's the website I use. Sorry, eh.
m
0
l

Best solution

October 22, 2012 10:52:59 AM

lxgoldsmith said:
switched to asrock, as they are the same price, patriot RAM is cheaper & "Intel approved", crucial m4 was cheaper, but is no longer on sale, cm storm enforcer looks great, but tell me if its worth he extra $15-40. currently a $25 MIR with it, usually 85-90


Switch to the Enforcer, totally worth it. If the Gigabyte is the same price as the Extreme 4, then sorry, switch back to the Gigabyte. The comment below yours is right; the Extreme 4 is a bit smaller then standard ATX, so 3 screw and one side are unattached (if dumb enough, you could shove it against the inside of your case). Also, the Extreme 4 has the worst performance of most of its counterparts, though its cheapness is its only value I suppose.
Share
October 22, 2012 10:58:56 AM

Nw333 said:
I wouldnt get Asrock now. Its a an inch or so shorter than normal ATX boards, so Id say stay with the Gigabyte for this build.

If you can, get a Vertex 4 for your SSD. Its one of the fastest out now. Its priced at $100 if my memory serves me right.


My God, my memory is pathetic. If the Vertex 4 is the same price as the Crucial M4, get the Vertex 4. It's blazingly blazingly alarmingly awesomely fast. I'm sorry, I though the Vertex 4 was $160, and outta your SSD budget. (I'm in India, electronics get a large import duty here, so I'm a bit outta the price loop).

Note, however, the Vertex 4 has had more failures then the M4 (around 4% off 100% have failed). However, the warranty covers that, so buy the real thing, not OEM.
m
0
l
October 22, 2012 11:32:57 AM

Do they even sell OEM SSDs? Lol.
m
0
l
October 22, 2012 1:11:30 PM

Nw333 said:
Do they even sell OEM SSDs? Lol.


I saw a shop selling em last week. They had one being tested out, and it seemed authentic enough. Doesn't mean it was real, but that's what I saw.
m
0
l
October 22, 2012 1:23:04 PM

lxgoldsmith said:
switched to asrock, as they are the same price, patriot RAM is cheaper & "Intel approved", crucial m4 was cheaper, but is no longer on sale, cm storm enforcer looks great, but tell me if its worth he extra $15-40. currently a $25 MIR with it, usually 85-90


BTW, it doesn't matter if the RAM is intel approved, all RAM sticks that are compatible will work the exact same. As long as it's DDR3 and 1333 or 1600 (there's a few speed below and above, but these two are the most common, and performance barely increases above 1600), it's the same. I chose the corsair because the profile is low and it gives me more vertical space above my mobo for my H80 pipes. It's a long cooler for a mid-tower, and the black theme looks good too.
m
0
l
October 22, 2012 7:04:00 PM

kingston RAM is cheaper, but the voltage is too high
m
0
l
October 22, 2012 7:14:21 PM

what kind of fan config for the storm enforcer? The price range gets to be too high when I add the best parts, even if they seem to be "on sale"


P.S. - it takes me forever to post because my E and 3 keys have trouble.
m
0
l
October 23, 2012 3:16:34 AM

Works well with stock ones really. Unless you're a power user.
m
0
l
October 23, 2012 11:12:56 AM

lxgoldsmith said:
what kind of fan config for the storm enforcer? The price range gets to be too high when I add the best parts, even if they seem to be "on sale"


P.S. - it takes me forever to post because my E and 3 keys have trouble.


You don't need expensive fans for good cooling. The system has a very nice +200mm LED fan in the front, and a stock 120mm for the back. The only expansion slot you need to fill is the top. Practically, two 120mm fans will be more efficent and quieter then one big 200mm fan. I'm getting two of this:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...

Practically, LED fans are a tad slower then normal ones. 2400rpm is the usual for fans of this size. Since I'm not planning on insanely high overclocking, though, I'm happy with two 2000rpm fan (which I can tweak for higher speeds anyway) and a Corsair H80 for my processor. Really, you shouldn't be worried about getting insanely expensive fans unless you're doing hardcore overclocking.
m
0
l
October 23, 2012 6:09:16 PM

^ i've been looking at the same fans.
m
0
l
October 23, 2012 7:08:09 PM

Top fans should be a nice addition. Not really necessary since there's no overclocked gpu,but a cooler PC is always better.
m
0
l
October 30, 2012 1:09:44 AM

Best answer selected by lxgoldsmith.
m
0
l
!