What's wrong woth my computer?

Xmporter

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

Xmporter

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

My cables are good. I upgraded from a Sempron LE-1250 to a Athlon 64 x2 4400+. Didn't mess with the graphics card at all. All I did was blow a can of air through the computer to release all of the built up dust. I tried to run a virus scan and about 5 minutes later, it happened again, forcing me to restart the computer with the power button. But the strange thing is, is that it only happens on the admin account. I tried the other accounts and they don't do that at all.

Xmporter

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

Im running windows vista 64 bit with service pack 2. I've never seen an f8 command. Is that the command on all computers? Amd what do I do when I get into debug mode? Sorry for all the questions. I'm new here.

Xmporter

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

Ok, my computer is in debug mode but now I have another problem. Every time I log in while in debug mode, itll log in normally and as soon as it gets to the desktop, BAM, it freezes. But when I am running it in enable logging mode, it is still working after about 20 minutes. I am also on the admin account if that helps.

Xmporter

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

Just tried that. As soon as I started to log off, it did it again. But not just that. It did it two more times besides that one. First time was about 10 mins after I logged in and 2nd time was as soon as it got to the desktop. This is getting really frustrating now. And the software that someone on another forum asked me to install, I can't even do it cause the computer won't stay up long enough. Oh BTW, did it again except its still at normal screen but NOTHING works. The keyboard lights don't even turn off when I press it. It's only happening on the admin account.

logainofhades

Titan
Do you still have your old CPU? If so I would put it back in and see what it does. I am starting to think it could be the fact you went from single core to dual core and, for whatever reason, windows didn't update the driver properly for the admin account. You should then be able to change it in device manager. If you can get to device manager before it crashes, you might be able to uninstall or update the driver.

adamv1

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
I have seen that screen image before. It occurred when a hard drive I had was shorting out. Do you have another hard drive you can test with. I would suggest using free space on another working HD to create a new partition and install windows. If this works you will have few options available with the old HD for recovering the data.

-unfortunately the information on your current drive will be hard to recover because the short will mess-up the partitions on your working drive. Happened to me, don't ask me why but I think it has something to do with the PSU surge protection.

-you can try recovering the information from the faulty drive but you will most likely run into the above problem.

Xmporter

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

I can get a new hard drive easily but will it allow me to reinstall windows with my product key?

adamv1

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Yes, you can install windows on a dozen computers or more. Windows will deactivate the key on the previous machine it was installed on when it connects to the internet or phones home to Microsoft.

Xmporter

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

I still don't understand how as soon as I get a new CPU, I need a new hard drive. How's that possible?

adamv1

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Coincidence? I really am not sure, I'm diagnosing your problem not trying to understand the state of nature.

My solution may not be the ultimate solution but it will do a few things. First, if it is a driver issue the re-install will clear up prior drivers that may have been interfering. Since I have seen this problem before and it was due to a hard drive short I can assume this is a good place to start. I can only offer suggestions based on my experience and knowledge.