Really weird problem

Ok, so after hours of tinkering, I've finally figured out what's wrong with my new Radeon 6870.

I have a Dell Optiplex 380.
I also have a Radeon 5570.

When I press the power button, everything works fine with the 5570.
If I take out the 5570 and use the onboard chip, it works fine.

However, the moment I put in a Radeon 6870, the power light blinks orange.
After some tinkering (don't ask me how I figured this out), I found out that if I:

Take out the 6870, put back in the 5570, and power up, everything turns green and works fine. I then take out the 5570, using just the onboard, and everything works fine. I then put in my 6870 BUT without the6 pin connectors and hooking it up to my monitor (still using onboard), and it works fine. The 6870's fans spin and it turns on. I turn it off again, plug in the 6 pins and DVI cable and viola, I have a working 6870 (which I tested out yesterday with 3-4 hours of game play, flawless).

The problem is, every single time I put the PC into sleep or shut it down, the 6870 won't turn back on. I have to repeat everything that I mentioned above. Then everything works fine.
17 answers Last reply
More about really weird problem
  1. Stock 255w psu ?
    You're putting a hurting on it
  2. Yep PSU does not have enough power for HD6850!
  3. That's too much power for that PSU to handle.
  4. I actually upgraded to a Corsair TX750 750W. Been powering my PC for 5 months now.
  5. Titanic3 said:
    I actually upgraded to a Corsair TX750 750W.

That's a new level of extreme
    The blinking power light could mean a board problem, could be bad caps
    Have a look at board with a flashlight in hand and see if any are dome shaped at the top or have snots on them
  6. There aren't any, at least none that I could find. But even if one were damaged, it wouldn't make sense because if I do the steps I mentioned above, it then works normally. It's not really a problem, I can live with it. But it's a little nuisance that I would rather not have to deal with every time I want to play games.
  7. Titanic3 said:
    There aren't any, at least none that I could find. But even if one were damaged, it wouldn't make sense because if I do the steps I mentioned above, it then works normally. It's not really a problem, I can live with it. But it's a little nuisance that I would rather not have to deal with every time I want to play games.

I've seen Dell boards with domed caps that worked fine till they killed the ram, then work fine with replacement ram till it killed that as well
    Doesn't make sense but it happens
    And it doesn't neccessarily have to be bad caps that can be spotted by eye
  8. Would it help if I said that whenever I move the 6pin connectors, the PC shuts off? I have 4x 6 pins, I've tried all 4. They all do the same thing. (Sorry for not mentioning this earlier).
  9. What do you mean move? I hope you aren't replugging them when the PC in on?
  10. No, its already plugged in, I'm saying if I move the cable so I can close the case, it will turn off.
  11. Is it properly plugged in so the catch is gripping?
  12. Yes, I'm still puzzled.
  13. Could be a cracked trace on the video card pc board, or a cracked solder joint on the 6 pin power connectors.
  14. Sorry, I'm still rather new to PC hardware, so, what is a "cracked trace on the video card pc board"?

As for the 6 pins, I have 4 of them. I've tried all 4 using every combination and the same happens with each.
  15. Bad card if the plugs are inserted properly!
  16. I don't think that's the case either because I ordered the same card, just made by a different company a month ago. Same thing happened so I thought it was DOA. I returned it and got this one. After the same thing happened, I got frustrated and tried everything in order for it to work. Finally I figured it out (my OP) and now it works but it's still slightly annoying whenever I want to turn on my PC for gaming. (I just take it out when I'm not going to game).
  17. Sounds like either the plug is not well enough in or the card is not properly inserted in the slot. Basically a loose connection.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Radeon Graphics