Where to sell a Core i3 3220?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunspotdragon

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
Hey All,

I recently built my first custom PC. While the intention was for gaming, I am a novice IT Admin.(I have 4 months of exp under my belt) I found myself wanting to get better with Linux as I have limited to no knowledge on how to fully operate Linux. I got my self Oracle VM and I am installing a Ubuntu 12.04 VM on my PC. Problem is I find it is moving a little sluggish and I'm thinking my i3 cant cut it. Can anyone recommend a CPU will not break the bank as well as a place to sell the current i3 3220 that I own....it less than 2 months old.

Thank you in advance for your time

My Specs:

MoBo: AsRock Z75 Pro 3
CPU: Core i3 3220
RAM: 8GB of DDR3 @ 1866
GPU: Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition

Solution
Your i3 3220 is more than adequate to run one VM. I'd say you should easily be able to run 3-4 VMs simultaneously as long as you aren't doing intensive tasks on each one at the same time. You'll run out of RAM before your CPU starts presenting bottlenecks.

I personally am no fan of the Oracle VirtualBox. For a free hypervisor, I think VMware Player is much better. On Windows 8, Hyper-V is really good too. If you're running Windows 7, Microsoft Virtual PC is okay, but not as good as VMware Player.

A few questions:
1. What are you using for storage for your VM?
2. Have you enabled the hardware-assisted virtualization features for your CPU? They probably aren't enabled by default. They are usually configured in the BIOS.
3. How much RAM...

rusabus

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
Your i3 3220 is more than adequate to run one VM. I'd say you should easily be able to run 3-4 VMs simultaneously as long as you aren't doing intensive tasks on each one at the same time. You'll run out of RAM before your CPU starts presenting bottlenecks.

I personally am no fan of the Oracle VirtualBox. For a free hypervisor, I think VMware Player is much better. On Windows 8, Hyper-V is really good too. If you're running Windows 7, Microsoft Virtual PC is okay, but not as good as VMware Player.

A few questions:
1. What are you using for storage for your VM?
2. Have you enabled the hardware-assisted virtualization features for your CPU? They probably aren't enabled by default. They are usually configured in the BIOS.
3. How much RAM have you given your VM?

--Russel

Solution

sunspotdragon

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
Thanks for the replies,

I gave my VM 2GB of RAM as well as a 50GB .vhd file for storage. I honestly don't know if the virtualization features are on....that did not occur to me. I'll be checking to see if it is on and then trying the VM once more.

Status
Not open for further replies.