Sign in with
Your question

Is this a good build?

Last response: in Systems
October 21, 2012 4:00:51 PM

I'm building my first computer and I'm hoping I could have some advice on what this build is like:
I5 3570k CPU
Asus P8Z77-V LX Intel Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1600MHz
Arctic freezer 13 fan
Winpower 600w PSU
Trendsonic Cavalier Mid Tower CAS-885
Seagate Barracuda 500GB Hard Drive ST500DM002

Any help is welcome, cheers!

More about : good build

October 21, 2012 4:06:35 PM

Get a better PSU yours is a doorstop with cables. (stick with antec, corsair, xfx, seasonic, ocz)

Check reviews on coolers you can do better than the freezer 13 for a similar price
October 21, 2012 4:09:01 PM

Cheers for the advice, any recommendation in terms of the fan? And do you have any specific preference for the PSU?
Related resources
October 21, 2012 4:17:51 PM

Seasonic is the way to go for Power supplies. You don't lista video card, but a 520w or 620w should be sufficient. You may want to look into an SSD too, for your OS, games and apps. I prefer Samsung or Crucial in at least 128GB. For fans, I like Sharkoon and Panaflo (now Rexus), but the are many good brands. The rest looks good.
October 21, 2012 4:23:07 PM

What is the main usage for this pc?
Regardless the 3570K is about as good as it gets.

Do you have a graphics card in mind, or will you be using integrated graphics?

Wintech psu's are tier 5 units(not recommended-replacs asap) on this list:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

A cheap psu is the last place to economize.
Buy a tier 2 or better unit from that list.
The wattage you need will be determined by the graphics card. Specifically how many and what type of pcie adapters the card needs.

I do not like small 92mm fans on a cpu cooler. They are noisy and ineffective. You might as well stick with the stock intel cooler.
I would suggest a tower type cooler with a slow turning 120mm fan like the cm hyper212. They are not expensive.

If you have the budget for a 3570K, I think you should build using a SSD. It will make everything you do feel so much quicker.
A 120gb ssd will hold the os and half a dozen games. with a 180gb or 240gb ssd, you may never need a hard drive at all.
You can always add a hard drive later for storage.

October 21, 2012 4:25:01 PM

maestro0428 said:
Seasonic is the way to go for Power supplies. You don't lista video card, but a 520w or 620w should be sufficient. You may want to look into an SSD too, for your OS, games and apps. I prefer Samsung or Crucial in at least 128GB. For fans, I like Sharkoon and Panaflo (now Rexus), but the are many good brands. The rest looks good.

GPUs and SSDs are things I'm looking into when I have sufficient funds, so I'll scope out the stuff I want at a later date although in terms of GPUs I'm looking at a 660Ti? And thanks for the help
October 21, 2012 4:29:35 PM

geofelt said:
What is the main usage for this pc?
Regardless the 3570K is about as good as it gets.

Do you have a graphics card in mind, or will you be using integrated graphics?

Wintech psu's are tier 5 units(not recommended-replacs asap) on this list:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

A cheap psu is the last place to economize.
Buy a tier 2 or better unit from that list.
The wattage you need will be determined by the graphics card. Specifically how many and what type of pcie adapters the card needs.

I do not like small 92mm fans on a cpu cooler. They are noisy and ineffective. You might as well stick with the stock intel cooler.
I would suggest a tower type cooler with a slow turning 120mm fan like the cm hyper212. They are not expensive.

If you have the budget for a 3570K, I think you should build using a SSD. It will make everything you do feel so much quicker.
A 120gb ssd will hold the os and half a dozen games. with a 180gb or 240gb ssd, you may never need a hard drive at all.
You can always add a hard drive later for storage.

This build at the moment is the bare bones before I can grab an SSD and a GPU which I'm looking at a 660Ti for, my main use will be gaming once I have everything sorted
October 21, 2012 4:40:30 PM

Depending on what you want to spend either a hyper 212 EVO or (cheaper) a TX-3 .... both made by coolermaster.
October 21, 2012 5:11:55 PM

DaKyster1 said:
This build at the moment is the bare bones before I can grab an SSD and a GPU which I'm looking at a 660Ti for, my main use will be gaming once I have everything sorted

The newer 28nm cards(GTX6xx and amd 7xxx) do not need as much power as before.
500w will be sufficient for even a GTX670.

Unless you will be storing large video files, do not waste your money on a temporary hard drive.
Build using at least a 120gb ssd. It will not cost much more than a hard drive.
If you have a working pc now, check out how much of the drive you are using.

Since this build is for gaming, you might want to reconsider your budget.
My rule of thumb for a gamer is to budget twice the price of the cpu for the graphics card.
In this case, the 3570K is appropriate for a GTX680 class graphics card.

You would game better with a lesser cpu like a i3-3240 or a 3450 combined with a stronger GTX670 class graphics card.
October 21, 2012 5:20:48 PM

geofelt said:
The newer 28nm cards(GTX6xx and amd 7xxx) do not need as much power as before.
500w will be sufficient for even a GTX670.

Unless you will be storing large video files, do not waste your money on a temporary hard drive.
Build using at least a 120gb ssd. It will not cost much more than a hard drive.
If you have a working pc now, check out how much of the drive you are using.

Since this build is for gaming, you might want to reconsider your budget.
My rule of thumb for a gamer is to budget twice the price of the cpu for the graphics card.
In this case, the 3570K is appropriate for a GTX680 class graphics card.

You would game better with a lesser cpu like a i3-3240 or a 3450 combined with a stronger GTX670 class graphics card.

Right so I'm going to get a GTX 680 and a 120gb SSD, what do you recommend as a PSU for this? As I've been hearing some horror stories about the winpower 600w PSU I'm currently looking at
October 21, 2012 5:41:54 PM

I've done some looking and found this fairly cheap PSU the Cooler Master GX-Lite 500W Power Supply Unit (UK) RS500-ASABL3-UK is this decent or am I going to have to spend some more to get what i want?
October 21, 2012 7:31:44 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by MouseMonkey
!