Sign in with
Your question

Is this build compatible?

Last response: in Systems
October 20, 2012 5:31:30 AM

Hi, i am a little new to computer and looking to learn more. Im also looking to upgrade around christmas and was curious if this was compatible and if there are any better components to choose from, please say so.

Current:
Motherboard - ASUS M5A97 AMD970A AM3+
Graphics Card - NVIDIA GTX 560 2GB
CPU - AMD FX 4100
FANS/COOLING - CASE FAN 120mm
ASETEK 510LC 120MM WATERCOOLER
BLACK COOLERMASTER HAF 912 MID NO POWER
RAM - 4x 4GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1600MHZ DDR3
POWER SUPPLY - COOLERMASTER SILENT PRO 750 WATT
HDD - 1TB SATA III 7200 RPM 3.5"

I am looking to upgrade my processor and motherboard and eventually my graphics card to the following:

CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
GPU - EVGA GTX 660 ti 2gb

So i am wondering if that build will be compatible with each other, and if not, any other suggestions?

More about : build compatible

October 20, 2012 6:37:14 AM

It should be compatible, although I don't know if you can use that watercooler on the i5 3570k. Get a good air cooler like a Hyper 212 or something for $30 (Make sure it fits) and then you can get a decent overclock going.

m
l
October 20, 2012 7:13:29 AM

Also that's not enough data on the RAM. If it's 1.5V it will be fine.
m
l
Related resources
October 20, 2012 9:20:14 AM

The FX4100, while it's crap compared to the I5 3570K and even the old Phenom II's, is still "decent" for what you pay. If you can get that thing past 4.2Ghz then don't bother buying a new chip yet, focus on the Graphics card first. And then later on the chip. Chances are there will be better chips for less money then from both sides AMD and Intel.
~UnlimitedBanana
m
l
October 20, 2012 3:03:41 PM

Proximon said:
Also that's not enough data on the RAM. If it's 1.5V it will be fine.

How can i find out what i have.

And does anyone reccomentd any good water coolers?

Also i am curious if this motherboard would fit in my case, which is the black cooler master HAF 912 mid no power?

In the meantime, how would i overclock my gpu and cpu safely?
m
l
October 20, 2012 9:03:11 PM

You can either examine the RAM stick and look for a sticker, or Download CPU-Z and look at the info. You will want CPU-Z anyway, as well as a temp monitoring program such as HWMontor.

The first "good" water cooler is probably the Corsair H100 or maybe the Antec Kuhler
Read this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277130-29-read-first-...

(Your case would not accommodate the H100 without some modification).

Any ATX motherboard will work just fine in your case.

There are ample guides here in the forums for overclocking.
m
l
October 21, 2012 4:19:51 AM

i was able to overclock my cpu to 4.4ghz after a half hour of experimenting. trying to figure out how to overclock my gpu now. was re thinking my options for upgrades and was thinking of sticking with amd cpu's. leaning towards the fx 4170 since that is getting better reviews than the 8 core ones. do you think this is a wise decision? also i discovered that my ram sticks are 1.5v exactly.
m
l
October 21, 2012 5:49:03 AM

If you are hapyy with your CPU performance leave it alone. if not might as well go Intel.
m
l
October 21, 2012 4:04:11 PM

Proximon said:
If you are hapyy with your CPU performance leave it alone. if not might as well go Intel.

As it turned out, when i overclocked it to 4.4 ghz, it wasnt stable. So i tried 4.3 and got it stable, but for some reason, games are super slow and laggy from graphical settings that were fine without overclock. When i tried a different game without over clock, the fps was fine but the npcs and i were flashing in and out of the picture, sort of like lag, but the framerate was at 50 fps. Is it possible i damaged something like my cpu?
m
l
October 21, 2012 7:32:16 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by MouseMonkey
m
l
!