G

I've got a problem with the floppy drive. I've build a system last night and floppy led is on all the time, windows explorer can't reach to a:...I've changed the cable orientation but this time the bios gives alarm. What's the problem?

Best Regards.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Have you tried the drive in another system?

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

Hello

I have this problem on 2 computers, one was buiilt last year and developed the problem about 2 weeks ago, I noticed but didn't hink abotu it much. The other was an old system that was rebuilt and now has it. The led comes on as soon as the PC is turned on. If a disk is inserted then the drive just spins so no I?O can happen.

It is not the cables in my case IMHO as they haven't moved from when the drives were working.

Thank you in advance.
Mr Blonde

Pull the drives and stick them into a system that works. That will eliminate one possibility.

I have found that after 3 years or so, FDDs can just go without warning.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink:

G

Hello.

I have checked the drives in other systems and they work, I also put a drive from an old machine that works into my systems and it has the same problem, the light is on even before POST, so it is always on.

Could it be the north or south bridge on the mobo failing, or could it be the PSU?

I tried two floppys on the floppy cable and then they both get the problem.

Thank you in advance.
Mr Blonde

G

Doh. Maybe because some new hardware, and alot of old comes with the drivers on floppys, maybe because he uses it for work, letters and stuff, bringing them from work or viceversa. they are also usefull for bootdisk's!
Let me ask, do you have dvd? if so, why dont you dump your cd-rom. Get the picture.

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry, I didn't mean to upset anyone...

but you have to admit floppy disks are ancient technology. I find it interesting that everyone still uses a 1.44mb disk instead of moving on to a newer technology like 250mb Zip disks or the LS-120s.

TNC10284

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2001
Hey man. Either you got bad Floppy drives or you've got the floppy ribbon cable reversed at either the floppy drive end or the floppy connector on the motherboard. Double check the cables and make sure the red wire is in line with Pin 1. Pin 1 should be printed in white next to the floppy connector on the motherboard. Hope this helps.