Solved

My First PC Build. HELP

My name is Blake
I live in New York
Ny Budget is $400
I want to build a pc for Call of Duty
I don't need a OS, monitor,keyboard,mouse

I would like ot run 60fps on black ops 2 medium to high

Maybe play skyrim and battlefield 3 but if i can't then it is fine.

First let me say that i know call of duty is looked down upon in pc gaming community, but i don't care lol. I want to know if this
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5643697&CatId=31
will run black ops 2 and skyrim (maybe). i have a budget of about $400.

It is a barebones kit and it looks like everythings there and it seems like it would play CoD, but it seems to good to be true so please just tell me what i would need to buy with the barebones kit to have a complete computer.
I already have an os, monitor. Im just trying to build a tower atm.

If someone could please help me out id like to know if im missing some stuff here, im not a computer wizard lol.
41 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build help
  1. Well there isn't a gpu.
    I would get a llano or trinity cpu as it has the best integrated out there. Then a 300w psu and as little 320-500gb storage.
  2. Actually there is a MSI Radeon HD 4350 Video Card 1gb included in the kit.
  3. Here's what I pulled from BO2 Forums.

    What are the Minimum System Requirements?

    OS: Windows Vista SP2 or Windows 7
    CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E8200 2.66 GHz or AMD Phenom X3 8750 2.4 GHz
    Memory: 2GB for 32-bit OS or 4GB for 64-bit OS
    Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800GT 512 MB or ATI Radeon HD 3870 512 MB

    It's not really system dependent because the graphical engine hasn't changed since the original BO, only tweaks.
  4. So i should be good? What about with Battlefield 3 or Skyrim. Just so you don't have to follow the link ill just say the specs

    •GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2P AMD 760 Motherboard
    •AMD HDX945WFGIBOX Phenom II X4 945 Quad Core Processor 3Ghz
    •ADATA Premier Series AD3U1333C4G9-SH 4GB Desktop Memory Module
    •WD Blue WD10EALX 1TB Desktop Hard Drive
    •MSI R4350-MD1GD3H/LP Radeon HD 4350 Video Card 1GB
    •Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE 22X Internal DVDRW Drive
    •DiabloTek CPA-0280 Elite ATX Mid Tower Case

    I can't change anything in that build without getting a new barebones kit. But the kit is only $260, so obviously after i get the kit i could get a another 4gb of ram, some more fans, new mouse and keyboard etc. (and maybe a video card even)
  5. All i need is someone to confirm if this will be good and maybe give me some insight. Im sort of a noobie with computer hardware lol.
  6. I don't think the 4350 is the best option. it is kinda a pos.
  7. COD: Black Ops 2 should be ok for low, maybe medium. Skyrim & BF3...I'm going to flat out say no. It just doesn't have the horsepower.

    Crysis came out in 2007 and it was BARELY playable on the 4350 at 800x600
  8. lt_dan_zsu said:
    I don't think the 4350 is the best option. it is kinda a pos.

    yeah i know what you mean. but look at the price of the kit lol. i might as well buy the kit and upgrade the video card.
  9. lt_dan_zsu said:
    I don't think the 4350 is the best option. it is kinda a pos.


    LOL that's what I was trying to get at without being so, uhm, direct.
  10. well just look at some benchmarks.
  11. dscudella said:
    COD: Black Ops 2 should be ok for low, maybe medium. Skyrim & BF3...I'm going to flat out say no. It just doesn't have the horsepower.

    Crysis came out in 2007 and it was BARELY playable on the 4350 at 800x600
    http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/video/ATI/4550/crysis2.png

    damn. i see the problem. but other than the video card is the everything else good? because for $260 id happily just buy the kit and another card for $120. and if not.. can you recommend a build for me? i was thinking maybe a amd a8 build and than upgrade to a real card and run crossfire. but like i said im a noobie, i probably have no idea what im talking about :lol:
  12. You're paying $330 out the door, that $270 price is after a mail in rebate. You're looking at another $125 for a Radeon 7770 to be able to play BF3 & Skyrim to where you won't see pixels.
  13. That really isn't that great of a deal.
  14. video card is crap, power supply is crap and will probably blow up if you upgrade to a better video card lol. Case looks small. Probably wont have a lot of space to upgrade.
    Maybe not the best buy there is
  15. dscudella said:
    You're paying $330 out the door, that $270 price is after a mail in rebate. You're looking at another $125 for a Radeon 7770 to be able to play BF3 & Skyrim to where you won't see pixels.

    recommend a $400 budget build for me? and even so, after rebates it would be $390-$410 with tax and im completely ok with that if its a good deal.

    Phenom ii x4 quad core
    radeon 7770
    4gb ram

    that seems pretty promising for mu budget. but like i said, im dumb :pt1cable:
  16. 1tym said:
    video card is crap, power supply is crap and will probably blow up if you upgrade to a better video card lol. Case looks small. Probably wont have a lot of space to upgrade.
    Maybe not the best buy there is


    Atleast your honest with me. Do you think i could get something better buying the parts seperately? help me out on a build.
  17. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: MSI 870A-G46 ATX AM3 Motherboard ($54.98 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: VisionTek Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($184.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Zalman Z9 ATX Mid Tower Case ($36.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $497.91
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

    I'm not very good with AMD Mobo's but you're not going to get better than the 965 BE for gaming (AMD). You could trim some fat from the mobo (760) & Video Card (7770) & RAM (4gb) if you wanted to.

    You could also go the Intel route. You didn't say if you were partial to AMD or not.
  18. If you wanted to go the Intel route, it could look something like this.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock H61M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($44.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: VisionTek Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($184.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($35.83 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $501.76
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
  19. dscudella said:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: MSI 870A-G46 ATX AM3 Motherboard ($54.98 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: VisionTek Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($184.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Zalman Z9 ATX Mid Tower Case ($36.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $497.91
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

    I'm not very good with AMD Mobo's but you're not going to get better than the 965 BE for gaming (AMD). You could trim some fat from the mobo (760) & Video Card (7770) & RAM (4gb) if you wanted to.

    You could also go the Intel route. You didn't say if you were partial to AMD or not.

    Thank you VERY much for that build. Ill probably get 4gb ram and buy 4 more later. But i have one more questing. On the amd site it says the 7850 requires 500 watt power suply and you gave me 430 watts.
  20. Quote:
    Thank you VERY much for that build. Ill probably get 4gb ram and buy 4 more later. But i have one more questing. On the amd site it says the 7850 requires 500 watt power suply and you gave me 430 watts.


    The Zalman Z9 is not a good case choice, and there's better 430W PSUs you could go with. Some cards have issues with the CX430.

    dscudella said:
    If you wanted to go the Intel route, it could look something like this.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock H61M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($44.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: VisionTek Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($184.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($35.83 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $501.76
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


    Sandy Bridge has issues with certain 430W PSUs. I had trouble getting my HTPC build to work on a Corsair CX430, and that will be underpowered for a 7850.

    On a $500 build here's what I would get:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75 Pro4 ATX FM2 Motherboard ($86.97 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $483.89
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

    The integrated graphics on the A10 are a lot stronger than anything else you could get - and then if you want to get a GPU later on the motherboard I included gives you the option for it, plus you get a dedicated quad core CPU on top of that - that has lots of great overclocking potential.
  21. lt_dan_zsu said:


    Trinity would be like 1,000,000 times better than a Pentium G850. Plus you get a CPU with some great overclocking potential. Read more: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a10-5800k-trinity-efficiency,3315.html
  22. g-unit1111 said:
    Trinity would be like 1,000,000 times better than a Pentium G850. Plus you get a CPU with some great overclocking potential. Read more: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a10-5800k-trinity-efficiency,3315.html

    i was looking into those trinity cpus+gpu's, and they seem great for the price. especially if you can get another radeon card and crossfire it.
  23. APU > dedicated 7770? No way.

    Hardware Secrets A10-5800

    1080p @ 16FPS...on low settings...I'll pass.
  24. g-unit1111 said:
    Trinity would be like 1,000,000 times better than a Pentium G850. Plus you get a CPU with some great overclocking potential. Read more: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a10-5800k-trinity-efficiency,3315.html

    I was modifying dsuelda's build and 7770 is better than integrated. I know trinity has better integrated.
  25. Side by side comparison

    A10-5800K vs i3-2120 The Benches speak for themselves.

    A10-5800K vs Phenom 2 X4 965 BE Again, Trinity for gaming? 965 BE + 7770 is a much better choice.

    Trinity for HTPC's and non gaming rigs, OK. The OP's trying to play Skyrim, BF3 and BO2. Trinity can't hang.
  26. dscudella said:
    Side by side comparison

    A10-5800K vs i3-2120 The Benches speak for themselves.

    A10-5800K vs Phenom 2 X4 965 BE Again, Trinity for gaming? 965 BE + 7770 is a much better choice.

    I think you are right about that. But trinity is still great for the price. Especially if you got a trinity and another card for crossfire.
  27. blake1243 said:
    I think you are right about that. But trinity is still great for the price. Especially if you got a trinity and another card for crossfire.


    No. For the money you would spend on the A10 PLUS a dedicated card to crossfire with it (PowerColor Radeon 6670) you could get one of the above mentioned CPU's (965BE / i3) and a 7770 and have better performance with less heat, less power draw. You don't crossfire two LOW end cards.
  28. blake you are right, But of you can afford to get a dedicated card is always better.
  29. lt_dan_zsu said:
    blake you are right, But of you can afford to get a dedicated card is always better.

    actually ive come up with a budget build


    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/l0YQ

    And then im gonna buy another radeon and crossfire with a 6550D included in the a8-3870k about a week after i build it.
  30. blake1243 said:
    actually ive come up with a budget build


    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/l0YQ

    And then im gonna buy another radeon and crossfire with a 6550D included in the a8-3870k about a week after i build it.


    So many things wrong with this post. First, FM1 is dead. It was replaced by FM2 and the Trinity line. Secondly, If you're looking for gaming performance why would you choose a CPU that all the other CPU's we've recommended laugh at? Third, Crossfiring is an even WORSE idea than crossfiring 6670's. Fourth, you're going backwards as far as performance is concerned.

    Remember, you came to us for help. We gave you help. You're ignoring our help. Why ask for help if you're going to completely disregard what we're saying and do whatever you want anyways?
  31. lt_dan_zsu said:

    thats another idea. would that be better than the quad core 3ghz that comes with the apu?
  32. lt_dan_zsu said:


    I'd rather have the 965 BE or i3 with a 7770.

    I feel like the whole thread is trolling me.

    Blake1243, what is your budget? How much are you looking to spend? Maximum? Before or after rebates, taxes & shipping.
  33. good. I'm glad you'd rather have that. Unforunately the budget won't allow that, and yes blake that will be better than an apu
  34. lt_dan_zsu said:
    good. I'm glad you'd rather have that. Unforunately the budget won't allow that, and yes blake that will be better than an apu


    Add sarcasm to the trolling and you have the complete thread. OP seems to be hanging around the $340 mark. If you're looking to play Skyrim & BF3 like originally said, you're going to be very dissappointed.
  35. All I am saying is, I don't understand why people recommend things that aren't possible within the budget constants.
  36. Because the OP lists a barebones deal for $340 and says I'll just buy another Video Card. OK, now we're talking $450-$460. So we list builds in that price range but changes them to make them worst and cheaper. That's why I asked "What is your budget?" Give us a set budget to work with then, the you can decide what's best. He said his original budget is $400, but makes the comments I already said.

    For $400 I came up with this:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Pentium G850 2.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock H61M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($44.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card ($114.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 370 ATX Mid Tower Case ($36.19 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($35.83 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $382.96
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
  37. dscudella said:
    Because the OP lists a barebones deal for $340 and says I'll just buy another Video Card. OK, now we're talking $450-$460. So we list builds in that price range but changes them to make them worst and cheaper. That's why I asked "What is your budget?" Give us a set budget to work with then, the you can decide what's best. He said his original budget is $400, but makes the comments I already said.

    For $400 I came up with this:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Pentium G850 2.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock H61M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($44.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card ($114.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 370 ATX Mid Tower Case ($36.19 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($35.83 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $382.96
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


    After reading that i felt dumb. And now i think ill probably use that build right there instead of http://pcpartpicker.com/p/l1n0.

    i just ask one thing.... make that same build but with amd? i really don't like intel lol
  38. Best answer
    This is what I came up with for an AMD system. lt_dan_zsu can probably give you a better build, he has more experience with AMD systems than me. You get a true 4 core processor that can be OC'ed later.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: MSI 870A-G46 ATX AM3 Motherboard ($54.98 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card ($114.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 370 ATX Mid Tower Case ($36.19 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($35.83 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $397.95
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
  39. Best answer selected by blake1243.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Call of Duty Systems Product