Virtual Drive development

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

Hello to everyone.

I want to develop a virtual drive that will behave similarily with a normal
disk, but to be mounted from a file in the original file system. The format
of the file will be also developed by me.

Can someone give me some directions? What to study, what is the
architechture of such virtual drive? Do I need a new device driver
developed? Do I need a File System Filter Driver? etc.

I mention that I have DDK and IFS ready available as well as MSDN Library
documentation.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Alex
4 answers Last reply
More about virtual drive development
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

    Have a look at VMware, it's format of virtual disks & mount utility.

    --PA

    "Alex Webber" <alex_webber@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:c6o773$d6pnk$1@ID-1317.news.uni-berlin.de...
    > Hello to everyone.
    >
    > I want to develop a virtual drive that will behave similarily with a normal
    > disk, but to be mounted from a file in the original file system. The format
    > of the file will be also developed by me.
    >
    > Can someone give me some directions? What to study, what is the
    > architechture of such virtual drive? Do I need a new device driver
    > developed? Do I need a File System Filter Driver? etc.
    >
    > I mention that I have DDK and IFS ready available as well as MSDN Library
    > documentation.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help!
    >
    > Alex

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

    "Pavel A." <pavel_a@geeklife.com> wrote in message
    > Have a look at VMware, it's format of virtual disks & mount utility.

    I am not sure I understand. I want to develop using C and DDK/IFS a virtual
    drive... I have looked at vmware many times but I don't follow your point.
    What should I observe at vmware? Can you be more specific?

    Thanks!
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

    Maybe the RAMDISK sample in the NT 4.0 DDK can be of some help
    (...\src\storage\disk\ramdisk).

    IIRC, the RAMDISK source code is *very* small and simple. Now if you
    would just write to a file instead of using memory...

    However, I have no clue if the programming model used by RAMDISK is
    still accurate for W2K/XP.

    Stephan
    --
    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:14:17 +0300, "Alex Webber"
    <alex_webber@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Hello to everyone.
    >
    >I want to develop a virtual drive that will behave similarily with a normal
    >disk, but to be mounted from a file in the original file system. The format
    >of the file will be also developed by me.
    >
    >Can someone give me some directions? What to study, what is the
    >architechture of such virtual drive? Do I need a new device driver
    >developed? Do I need a File System Filter Driver? etc.
    >
    >I mention that I have DDK and IFS ready available as well as MSDN Library
    >documentation.
    >
    >Thanks in advance for any help!
    >
    >Alex
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

    www.storagecraft.com

    The VSPORT product suite provides you such a driver as a sample.

    --
    Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
    StorageCraft Corporation

    "Alex Webber" <alex_webber@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello to everyone.
    >
    > I want to develop a virtual drive that will behave similarily with a normal
    > disk, but to be mounted from a file in the original file system. The format
    > of the file will be also developed by me.
    >
    > Can someone give me some directions? What to study, what is the
    > architechture of such virtual drive? Do I need a new device driver
    > developed? Do I need a File System Filter Driver? etc.
    >
    > I mention that I have DDK and IFS ready available as well as MSDN Library
    > documentation.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help!
    >
    > Alex

Drivers Development Microsoft Windows XP