GTX 460 problems.

skrepas

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
Hello, everyone, I am having some problems with my GTX 460. So the thing which has started was strange sounds from my video card, it was like some sort of like touching the sides of inside the video card.

After a while, my fps in the game decreased by half, untill I restarted my PC, then it was ok.

But a few days ago, my Video Card started to, really annoy me - After about a half an hour of playing eg: Darksiders 2 / GTA 4... my FPS decreases a little, and then my desktop, just crashes. Then I have to restart my PC with the restart button on my PC.

And the thing is I've noticed, that while my PC is idle, temperature stick around 45-55 Celsius, and when i play something, even if that would be a simple game like League of Legends, the temperature raises to - 95 degrees!. Shall I bring my PC / Video card to someone who could fix it, or I could do that by my self?

PS: My English is not the best.

Thank you.

You clearly don't know much so it will be difficult to help you but a fan problem is indeed there. You didn't even tell us what brand that your 460 is. Take the side panel off and take a look at the card to see if the cooler is full of dust.

skrepas

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

Well, the full name of my Video card is
Sparkle GeForce GTX 460 1GB.
And I will check what's inside tomorow :D

Thanks.

Chances are that the card has degraded over time that it had worked. You need to go ahead and clean the card out and while doing so inspect the card for anything that stands out as not looking normal like dark spots on the card.

skrepas

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

Ok, but what if I will notice any of the black spots on it, is there a probability that my video card i dying or something like that?

jemm

Distinguished
If no dust, or black spots, see if something is touching the card fan. If none of these things are happening, then your card fan might be faulty, or the card is dying.

Perhaps it is time for a card upgrade. Which is your power supply?

skrepas

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

My power supply is "CIT Silent 700W Power Supply"(http://www.scan.co.uk/products/700w-colorsit-silent-700ub-quiet-fan-atx-v22-psu), I had to change it recently because we had an Electromagnetic storms around our location. So if it is time to upgrade it what would you offer for a cheap and maximum performance. I can spend around 200-300 pounds. (UK prices) Because I'm heading for Nvidia GeForce 670 in future.

jemm

Distinguished
First of all your temps are too much hot -- 95 degrees is what makes you computer to crash. Perhaps there is something else wrong, apart from the card fan. I am quite sure you will have to replace the thermal compound between the CPU and heatsink.

Anyway, have you checked if there is something touching the card? If not, then the card fan has gone -- I really don´t think it is possible to fix or replace the fan.

With 700W you can get any card in the market, but I do not know if CIT is a reputable brand -- brand is very important when it comes to power supply.

For 200-300 pounds you´d get an EVGA 2GB GeForce GTX 670 http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-evga-gtx-670-28nm-pcie-30-%28x16%29-6008mhz-gddr5-gpu-915mhz-boost-980mhz-cores-1344-2x-dl-dvi-dp-hd

However I don´t know which is your motherboard, and your CPU can bottleneck the card, so post your entire hardware configuration, please.

skrepas

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

Well, I did checked most of the space around the card. And that was the reason why i chose this power supply block, because I'm not the only one from my friends who still use CIT .

Well, thanks for advice about the video card. I might get one soon, I just still want to keep this one and do not waste the money while I still have video card which i can use, but the question is, Can I still use it.. :D

Here's configuration:
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
System Manufacturer: MSI
System Model: MS-7636
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM (Corsair)
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
Display Memory: 1024 MB

I think that's the main things of the system.

skrepas

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

So hello again sir. This morning my fan stopped, so I decided to take actions, so I have cleaned every single thing in the video card. I have even opened the fan (the place which spins) and cleaned it as well. When i plugged the video card again the fan was working properly, silently without any annoying sounds.

So I turned on MSI Afterburner, to keep an eye on the temperature line, while i was playing. But..
the temperature still was way too high to keep playing (80C - 98C). :( :fou:

By the way, I have inspected the video card and i couldn't see any of the black spots on it.

So, should i call the person who is really knowledged about these things and can fix it? Or there is something that i could do.

Thanks again :)

There is something wrong but since I am not there in person to help you there is only a few things that I can say. You need to clean the cooler and reapply some decent quality thermal compound. Leave the case open during normal use.

skrepas

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

Well, as I said, I've cleaned the cooler and whole video card today. So the fan spins without any problems now, but it does not make it better. :/

I have to assume that the compound either isn't any good or isn't applied properly. The other is that the stock fan isn't moving enough air to cool the card properly. I suggest that you consider modding the cooler so that the heat doesn't kill the card. Go online or to a local store and search for one or two very high CFM fans. Delta and San Ace are good but very loud. :)

Is it this one or the other one that looks the same as other brands?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187115

skrepas

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

Yes that's correct, it is the same video card i have.

It has a very small block under than face plate compared to most cards. You should just remove it and strap on some high end 80mm fans. That should settle the temp issue, if not then look at getting a new cooler or a better one that can be salvaged from a dead 460.