Sign in with
Your question

Connecting 3 monitors tp one Galaxy 1 GB Gt 640 in windows 7

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 26, 2012 10:05:44 PM

Purchased a New Dell PC with Windows 7 Home Premium installed from a major Electronics store. Per our video requirements, They installed a Galaxy 1 GB GT 640 graphics card (1x vga; 1x DVI; 1x HDMI) that they swear will support 3 monitors operating at the same time. However when we try to connect more than one monitor we get no video output to either the 2nd or 3rd screen. keep in mind we have to use convertors to go from DVI - VGA and HDMI to VGA on those ports. Is this what is causing our issue or does this card simply not do what it is tauted as being capable of? Any help will be appreciated.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=galaxy+1+gb+gt+640&...

:D 
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 26, 2012 10:10:29 PM

That's weird... because it should automatically detect the monitors and send signal...

have you tried updating the drivers? sometimes dell comes with really shitty drivers...
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 26, 2012 10:57:47 PM

The card is able to output only one VGA signal, there's your reason. Rest of the signals must be digital: DVI + HDMI or DVI + HDMI-DVI adapter.

m
l
Related resources
August 27, 2012 7:14:09 PM

killerhurtalot said:
That's weird... because it should automatically detect the monitors and send signal...

have you tried updating the drivers? sometimes dell comes with really shitty drivers...

Yes. I did update the drivers. with no luck.
m
l
August 27, 2012 7:17:52 PM

Sunius said:
The card is able to output only one VGA signal, there's your reason. Rest of the signals must be digital: DVI + HDMI or DVI + HDMI-DVI adapter.

Ok. Since I am not the most educated on graphics cards, are you saying that since I am already using the 1 - VGA port, that I cannot use a DVI to VGA adapter on the DVI port to convert the signal? How would the card know or recognize that the signal is being converted?
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 27, 2012 7:59:50 PM

Exactly.

The DVI to VGA adapter doesn't convert the signal. DVI slot may output both Digital and Analog signal, and DVI to VGA adapter just takes the Analog signal and gives it to VGA cable. However, when VGA slot is already taken, DVI slot loses Analog signal, and DVI to VGA adapter doesn't transmit anything to VGA cable.
m
l
!