Sign in with
Your question

Shutting down seconds after powering on

Last response: in Systems
October 21, 2012 11:42:56 PM

My computer recently stopped powering on. When pressing the power button, the system starts whirring, but after a few seconds (without any beeps) it just powers itself off. A couple of seconds later, it tries to start up again and just fails in the same way. This goes on indefinitely.

So far I've tried the following:

- Replacing the PSU
- Removing/reseating RAM
- Removing/reseating GFX
- Messing around with the power/reset pins. I tried turning the reset button into the power button to see if there was a problem with the power button. Same behaviour.
- Moving the motherboard around incase of shorting (I have a crappy small case).

I can't for the life of me think what to do next. I can only assume my motherboard has suddenly died an unexpected death? I've tried removing all the RAM, GPU and everything else. Even with just the motherboard, PSU and CPU I get the exact same thing happen.

Any ideas?

a b B Homebuilt system
October 21, 2012 11:52:42 PM

That sounds like motherboard failure to me. What motherboard do you have?
October 21, 2012 11:56:42 PM

Gigabyte GA-p35-DS3L. My CPU is an Intel q6600
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 138 V Motherboard
October 22, 2012 12:04:01 AM

Hmmm, I thought that board had all-solid caps, but check for broken or leaking capacitors on it.
October 22, 2012 12:15:40 AM

Onus said:
Hmmm, I thought that board had all-solid caps, but check for broken or leaking capacitors on it.

Cannot find anything out of the ordinary :( 
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 138 V Motherboard
October 22, 2012 12:23:09 AM

Reset your BIOS to defaults using the jumper.
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 138 V Motherboard
October 22, 2012 12:27:11 AM

Also, make sure your CPU fan is operating; that it has seized up.
October 22, 2012 12:38:18 AM

The CPU fan does start spinning about half a second before the computer turns off. I've tried jumping the BIOS but it didn't seem to make a difference. I've taken out the battery and I'm going to leave it for a while a try again later
October 22, 2012 12:25:28 PM

Bios reset seems to have done nothing :( 
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 138 V Motherboard
October 22, 2012 5:57:20 PM

Well then, you've checked for shorts, reseated everything, reset the BIOS; nothing. You've replaced the PSU and tried it without the graphics card, so it's not likely as simple as an overload. Unfortunately, it appears that your mobo has opted for early retirement.
!