Shutting down seconds after powering on

My computer recently stopped powering on. When pressing the power button, the system starts whirring, but after a few seconds (without any beeps) it just powers itself off. A couple of seconds later, it tries to start up again and just fails in the same way. This goes on indefinitely.

So far I've tried the following:

- Replacing the PSU
- Removing/reseating RAM
- Removing/reseating GFX
- Messing around with the power/reset pins. I tried turning the reset button into the power button to see if there was a problem with the power button. Same behaviour.
- Moving the motherboard around incase of shorting (I have a crappy small case).

I can't for the life of me think what to do next. I can only assume my motherboard has suddenly died an unexpected death? I've tried removing all the RAM, GPU and everything else. Even with just the motherboard, PSU and CPU I get the exact same thing happen.

Any ideas?
9 answers Last reply
More about shutting seconds powering
  1. That sounds like motherboard failure to me. What motherboard do you have?
  2. Gigabyte GA-p35-DS3L. My CPU is an Intel q6600
  3. Hmmm, I thought that board had all-solid caps, but check for broken or leaking capacitors on it.
  4. Onus said:
    Hmmm, I thought that board had all-solid caps, but check for broken or leaking capacitors on it.

Cannot find anything out of the ordinary :(
  5. Reset your BIOS to defaults using the jumper.
  6. Also, make sure your CPU fan is operating; that it has seized up.
  7. The CPU fan does start spinning about half a second before the computer turns off. I've tried jumping the BIOS but it didn't seem to make a difference. I've taken out the battery and I'm going to leave it for a while a try again later
  8. Bios reset seems to have done nothing :(
  9. Well then, you've checked for shorts, reseated everything, reset the BIOS; nothing. You've replaced the PSU and tried it without the graphics card, so it's not likely as simple as an overload. Unfortunately, it appears that your mobo has opted for early retirement.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Power Motherboards Systems