UnrealDimensions

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
Hello im new to Tom's Hardware forum and im getting ready to build my new pc in the next 2-3 weeks. Please feel free to give some suggestions for the build.

CPU-Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155

CPU Cooler-Corsair Hydro Series H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard-ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Ram:Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 4x4Gb

GPU-ASUS GTX680 DirectCU II TOP Edition

Hard Drive-Seagate Barracuda 7200 3 TB

SSD-OCZ Technology 256GB Vertex 4 Series

Case:Nzxt Technologies Phantom with Green Trim

Power Supply: Corsair Professional Series AX 850 Watt

Solution

Everything is compatible. There really isn't any big difference between using 4x4GB and 2x8GB. This only really matters if you play around with the voltages and are overclocking where the two additional modules may put a little more stress on the CPU.

You could probably get away with a P8Z77-V Pro motherboard from ASUS and save some money. The armour on the Sabertooth looks really cool and all, but doesn't really provide any discernible benefits for the extra premium you pay.

Lastly, you should know that there are better air-coolers that will outperform the H80 and cost less/the same. Look into the Noctua NH-D14 or the Thermalright Silver Arrow. Using these air coolers will require you to...

evilqueens

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
Looking okay so far. Can you give us a few more details about the build (where you're buying from, primary/secondary uses, overclocking/SLI, OS/Monitor needed, etc.)?

We can give you a lot of specific recommendations once we know some details :)

EDIT: Most importantly, please provide a budget for your build!

malbluff

Honorable
Subject to a couple of minor changes, like RAM, if you need 16GB, should be 2x8GB, not 4x4, but most importantly, what are you using PC for. If you want to be able to do high end photgraphic work, or design, then very little needs to be changed. If you want it primarily for gaming, then is should be modified, somewhat. What monitor(s) are you using/planning to use.

UnrealDimensions

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
Sure I will be buying the parts from Amazon.I will mainly be using this build for gaming maybe some video editing in the near future and I do plan on overclocking . I will be using windows 7 Professional for my OS and I already have a ASUS 23" monitor and my budget is around 2000$ i may buy a second card if I ever think I need it.

evilqueens

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

Everything is compatible. There really isn't any big difference between using 4x4GB and 2x8GB. This only really matters if you play around with the voltages and are overclocking where the two additional modules may put a little more stress on the CPU.

You could probably get away with a P8Z77-V Pro motherboard from ASUS and save some money. The armour on the Sabertooth looks really cool and all, but doesn't really provide any discernible benefits for the extra premium you pay.

Lastly, you should know that there are better air-coolers that will outperform the H80 and cost less/the same. Look into the Noctua NH-D14 or the Thermalright Silver Arrow. Using these air coolers will require you to purchase a different kit of RAM without the large (and largely useless) heatsinks on the Vengeance kit you currently have.

Solution

UnrealDimensions

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012

Thanks for all the information il look into the air coolers you were talking about and P8Z77-V Pro motherboard and if i use the air coolers any suggestions for which ram i should buy?

evilqueens

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

Sure - Corsair has its own low profile version of the Vengeance memory kits. You can always buy those.

The one I personally use with my Noctua NH-D14 is this: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL

Great kit of RAM and it fits nicely underneath the heatsink without any issues.

TRENDING THREADS