Sign in with
Your question

2K Gaming Rig Help

Last response: in Systems
October 22, 2012 1:07:41 AM

Ok guys, Im going to be truthful here, I do not know what I am Doing.

Could you just please look at this for me and make sure that all of it is compatible I don't want to order it, then be all like "*** It doesn't work!".

Here is the link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/l1bb

More about : gaming rig

October 22, 2012 1:26:15 AM

the 660 ti's are like the same as 670's and I got the money, might as well use it now
a b 4 Gaming
October 22, 2012 1:30:47 AM

Erm... no.

If you're going to be running SLI, the neutered memory bandwidth of the 660ti's are going to HURT.

If you want to do SLI, do it with 670's - the performance at higher resolutions will be a HUGE difference.
Related resources
October 22, 2012 1:49:09 AM

Actually get the 7970GHz Edition or standard. Both beat the 670 and 660Ti(and the GHz edition even competes with 680).
Just a couple questions.
What is your resolution of your monitor cause if it's one, you sure as hell don't need to SLI/Xfire?
Why go Nvidia when AMD makes the better card for the same price?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/l1L1
-has a faster SSD
-better GPU
-better CPU cooler
-low profile RAM to fit in a CPU cooler
-full tower case
-great mobo for a lot cheaper
October 22, 2012 1:53:41 AM

Dual monitors 1920x 1080
October 22, 2012 1:55:05 AM

hunterpostit88 said:
Actually get the 7970GHz Edition or standard. Both beat the 670 and 660Ti(and the GHz edition even competes with 680).
Just a couple questions.
What is your resolution of your monitor cause if it's one, you sure as hell don't need to SLI/Xfire?
-has a faster SSD
-better GPU
-better CPU cooler
-full tower case

My neighbor works for Nvidia I get 15% off, thats the only reason why I prefer Nvidia
October 22, 2012 1:57:50 AM

hunterpostit88 said:
Just a couple questions.
-has a faster SSD
-better GPU
-better CPU cooler
-full tower case

Good build - but I just want to comment on your SSD choice. Yes, the OCZ Vertex 4 has a higher maximum speed for some benchmarks. But for everyday workloads, you'd be hard pressed to notice the difference. The Samsung drives are way more reliable (given OCZ's past history with it's previous Agility drives) and are currently cheaper. No reason not to get the Samsung drive here.
October 22, 2012 1:58:58 AM

robomanlamb said:
My neighbor works for Nvidia I get 15% off, thats the only reason why I prefer Nvidia

If this is the case, then go with the GTX 670s. They are simply better than the 660Ti's due to the bandwidth.
October 22, 2012 2:00:42 AM

DarkSable said:
Erm... no.

If you're going to be running SLI, the neutered memory bandwidth of the 660ti's are going to HURT.

If you want to do SLI, do it with 670's - the performance at higher resolutions will be a HUGE difference.

I want you to know that there aren't any 670's with 3GB and the 660ti's work better when it comes to 1920x1080 dual monitors.

I'll be just fine, thank you.
October 22, 2012 2:12:04 AM

you can get the evga superclocked 4gb for 450 bucks, and then sli later, or if you have an extra 200-300 then you could do it now, they're right about the memory bandwidth, it will probably come and bite you in the butt later. and you cant really game on 2 monitors, you can do 1,3,5 or else the center of what your doing will be blocked cause of the bezels
October 22, 2012 2:23:17 AM

^More like the one screen will either go black or go to desktop.

Get the 7970GHz Edition. You wont regret it.
October 22, 2012 2:30:00 AM

Nw333 said:
^More like the one screen will either go black or go to desktop.

Get the 7970GHz Edition. You wont regret it.

Hmm, I really wonder what would happen... I'll try it later tonight with Borderlands2 while stretching my desktop across 2 screens.
October 22, 2012 2:33:21 AM

Well, its either what I said or you would only be seeing half your gun and your crosshair gone.
October 22, 2012 2:33:44 AM

computernoob29 said:
you can get the evga superclocked 4gb for 450 bucks, and then sli later, or if you have an extra 200-300 then you could do it now, they're right about the memory bandwidth, it will probably come and bite you in the butt later. and you cant really game on 2 monitors, you can do 1,3,5 or else the center of what your doing will be blocked cause of the bezels

I would be using the second monitor for videos and other crap and I would be using the main for games. I might consider getting a third monitor later, I just don't really have space for it right now.
October 22, 2012 3:02:23 AM

robomanlamb said:
I would be using the second monitor for videos and other crap and I would be using the main for games. I might consider getting a third monitor later, I just don't really have space for it right now.

If this is the case, I have a hard time understanding your previous post where you say the 660Tis are better than the 670s for dual monitor 1920x1080 setups. Essentially, you're going to be gaming on one monitor - where there are numerous comparisons that show the 670 to be better than the 660Ti.

This will only become more true if/when you game on three monitors, by the way.
October 22, 2012 3:05:03 AM

Nw333 said:
Well, its either what I said or you would only be seeing half your gun and your crosshair gone.

Hah, the Nvidia control panel won't even allow surround without at least a 3 monitor setup with common resolutions. There's probably a way to hack around this, but I won't even bother.
October 22, 2012 3:55:12 AM

if your not gaming on two monitors or three then you dont need more then 2gb on a graphics card for games, so in the gtx 670 2gb market the cheapest one with good cooling would be the gigabyte windforce 3x gtx 670 unless you can get a evga ftw gtx 670 or msi power edtion gtx 670
October 22, 2012 4:15:59 AM

hunterpostit88 said:
Just a couple questions.
-has a faster SSD
-better GPU
-better CPU cooler
-full tower case

For all your trumpeting of AMD over NVIDIA, you may want to update the builds in your signature that you have so kindly created (seriously) for everyone so that they have AMD gpus instead of NVIDIA gpus like they do now. :D  :D 

To the OP, go with the 7970 ghz edition and be done with it. 2 months ago NVIDIA had the best price/performance ratio, now AMD has it back. If you are going to go NVIDIA go with 670s (I have them in my rig).

Regarding your decision as to whether to go SLI or Xfire -- When people are choosing between 2 weak GPUs and one powerful GPU I usually recommend that they just get the one powerful GPU -- less heat issues, less babysitting, and a lot of saved money. If you want just get a MOBO that leaves you with an option to upgrade to SLI in the future.

If you want to go SLI or Xfire as yourself:
(1) will you be gaming at high resolution or multiple monitors?
(2) will you be gaming on a 120hz monitor or multiple 120hz monitors?

Also, I am pretty sure that 670s in SLI have better performance than 660ti's. If you want to save money, get the 660ti's, but don't have any illusions about them performing as well as the 670--it just ain't going to happen.
!