Best budget card for my setup?

xport7

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Hey, I know this has been posted but I really can't go off other peoples setups... Was wondering what would be the best GPU card for a budget for my setup and what would be the best for budget SLI? My budget would probably be $100 and less. I know it doesn't buy an uber card but I don't expect uber, I just upgraded from a p4 with x1650 pro so this is a big enough jump for me - below is my PC details (I have two GPU's but the other isn't showing up. It's a 8400 GS. My index for Win7 is 3.5 (determined by lowest subscore which is Graphics for Windows Aero? (Whatever that means) Just don't understand why it's so low...

More details about my computer

Component Details Subscore Base score
Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 925 Processor 7.2 3.5
Determined by lowest subscore

Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB 7.3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 210 3.5
Gaming graphics 4095 MB Total available graphics memory 5.1
Primary hard disk 182GB Free (225GB Total) 5.9
Windows 7 Ultimate

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer GBT___
Model NVDAACPI
Total amount of system memory 8.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 225 GB
Disk partition (C:) 182 GB Free (225 GB Total)
Media drive (D:) CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 210
Total available graphics memory 4095 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 512 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 3583 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.17.13.142
Secondary monitor resolution 1280x1024
Primary monitor resolution 1280x1024
Secondary monitor resolution 1920x1080
DirectX version DirectX 10

Network

Network Adapter NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Network Adapter Realtek 8185 Extensible 802.11b/g Wireless Device

Notes

The gaming graphics score is based on the primary graphics adapter. If this system has linked or multiple graphics adapters, some software applications may see additional performance benefits.

1. the g 210 is a weak gpu, its dated to the point where all current gen igpu's are better than it.
2. you cant sli a 210 and a 8400 gs, they must be 2 exact base model nvidia cards to go into sli(crossfires slightly more lenient and only requires certain base 2 numbers and/or rebandings), sli is strict and must follow a certain requirement)
3. its hard to really recommend a sub 100$ nvidia gpu, because price to performance wise, just about all price points under 100$ belong to AMD

xport7

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
What is PCI-E 3.0 and 2.1? How would I know if my mobo is compatible with those (or is any PCI-E slot compatible?)

@rolli59: Yes the drivers are installed (couldn't connect two monitos + tv via HDMI without drivers) Not sure why it's showing such information. I have one monitor and HDMI for TV hooked to the GT210 and another monitor hooked to the 8400 GS. Thanks for the info on the card btw.

@dudewitbow: I don't want to keep either of my current GPU's nor do I wish to SLI them, just using them until I can afford something better. Plan to buy one GPU for now (possibly the GT640 rolli59 showed me) and then buy another of the same later for SLI

PCI-E 3.0/2.1 is basically the amount of data that can be transfered at one time. atm though, on single card builds, pci-e 3.0 is necessary. pci-e is universally compatable except in a few occasions where a pci-e 2.1 card wont work on an unflashed bios pci-e 1.0 slot.