Closed Solved

Xonar d2x speaker setup

Hello,

I own a Xonar D2X sound card, and after searching everywhere to no avail, I would ask if anyone knows:

1. What is the output impedance for this card's analog outputs.
2. What is the maximum rated power/current for the analog outputs (I know they work at 2Vrms).

Also, to anyone who owns this card or a similar model, how have you set your speakers up? Did you use an AVR/Amplifier?

I'm trying to avoid an AVR since all I will use from it is the amplifier. I'm waiting for a 5.1 speaker set that I got on a cheap deal (decent ones, but nowhere near professional audio). They are passive 3-ohm speakers rated for up to 160W each, so I am afraid I may get very low sound.

An alternative I am considering is buying an 4x100w D-Class amplifier from Sure Electronics:http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=1763

Has anyone got any experience with that to share?

I'm not very interested in headphone setups since they won't draw anywhere near the same power.
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about xonar speaker setup
  1. Quote:
    1. What is the output impedance for this card's analog outputs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level
  2. I honestly don't see how this relates to the issue. Quoting your link:

"As opposed to line level, there are weaker audio signals, such as those from microphones and instrument pickups, and stronger signals, such as those used to drive headphones and loudspeakers. The strength of these various signals depends on the output voltage of the source device, along with its output impedance."
  3. Just got the speakers today. I should be able to set them up tonight, will post the result for future reference.
  4. Yep, the card needs an external amplifier. Will order one and post results.

Also, found out it has an output impedance of 100 ohms.
  5. 3 ohm speakers? That seems a bit odd. Most home speakers are 8 ohm, and the lowest ohm rating I've heard of is 4 ohm.

I'd be careful picking out an amplifier as running any old amp with those speakers could cause problems (like fires).

Also Sure makes cruddy amps (from what I've heard). You'd be better off running with a trio of lepai 2020a amps.

Do yourself a favor and pickup some good speakers from monoprice:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090601&p_id=9774&seq=1&format=2

or these from new egg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882325104

and then get a used Harman Kardon avr 1600 (it's one of the few models with 7.1 direct input)

http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-AVR1600-7-1-Channel-Receiver/dp/B002IKKFTQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362817582&sr=8-1&keywords=avr+1600
  6. Hello Magicpants,

Thank you for your advice. Yes, I know these 3-Ohm speakers are very odd. I bought them because they were very cheap and had decent quality (I could try them before buying).

I understand the challenge of finding an AMP for these speakers, I believe I can handle the electronics side of things (will try to avoid fires xD). It is my major after all.

What I am not good at is designing a sound system, I have zero experience with that.

I have to say if I had the money, I would definitely follow your advice on the speakers+AVR, it is just that I cannot afford it. Please take into consideration that I live in Brazil, so most of the stuff you recommended can't even be bought here. An AVR like the one you mentioned would cost about 600 USD (used). I also get paid in BRL, so make that cost double and you'll get the picture.

I did read a bit on the Lepai amps. Seems to me that either Sure or Lepai have decent designs for tripath amps, but use crappy components for filters. I am willing to give the Lepai a go, since it is the cheapest amp I ever heard of.

One thing is bugging me, though. Will a 20W amp be enough for a Home Theather? I don't need very high volume (I live in an apartment). I'm not the kind of listener that will crank everything to max, I rather have the sound at a comfortable level. I have zero experience with this, so I don't know what 20W means for sound. I am also worried about the SUB.

I do have some understanding of digital amplifiers, enough to know keeping them at maximum is a bad idea (for SNR purposes).

Do you think a 3x20W system would be able to drive my speakers at a good level for movies?

Thanks for answering.
  7. I've had a lepai 2020a amp hooked up to a pair of polk monitor 30s. It sounds great at moderate levels, and it can get loud, but not without a little distortion (I only notice it if I'm listening to it). In other words it's perfect for near field listening but it's not going to be loud enough for a big room.

However I don't think it's rated fro 3 ohms. Your best bet there is get an amp designed for cars, which typically drive 4 ohm speakers.

Can you post a link to those speakers? I'm curious as to what they are.

If you want a super deal on speakers monoprice has a cheaper 5.1 set for $80.

(Also you can get a used avr 1600 for $200, and a new one for $300 on amazon)
  8. MagicPants said:
    I've had a lepai 2020a amp hooked up to a pair of polk monitor 30s. It sounds great at moderate levels, and it can get loud, but not without a little distortion (I only notice it if I'm listening to it). In other words it's perfect for near field listening but it's not going to be loud enough for a big room.

However I don't think it's rated for 3 ohms. Your best bet there is get an amp designed for cars, which typically drive 4 ohm speakers.

Can you post a link to those speakers? I'm curious as to what they are.

If you want a super deal on speakers monoprice has a cheaper 5.1 set for $80.

(Also you can get a used avr 1600 for $200, and a new one for $300 on amazon)

The Lepai is rated for 20W at 4 Ohms, but if it isn't loud enough for a Home Theather, it won't be a solution.

I've tried buying from Amazon in the past, but they didn't ship to Brazil (at least not electonics). Will see if that changed. I'm also afraid an AVR will be quite expensive to ship, given the weight and size.

Even if I can find one shipping, there is an import tax that varies from 60% to 100% (of the cost+shipping), according to the mood of our "Receita Federal" (equivalent of the IRS). That is why everything is so much more expensive here =/

Here is the link for the speakers I bought:

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-460142693-kit-51-de-caixas-sony-1000w-400r-_JM

It's all in portuguese, but the specs should be easy to read. The product codes for each of them are listed too.

I have been looking at some car amps, but they all seem to be overkill. Also, it is hard to find one with 6 channels (5.1).

Anyway, I will have to hold back a little on this purchase, I'm almost broke after buying the TV (cost me 6 grand).
  9. I wasn't expecting to see home speakers, and sony to boot. I wonder if they were built to match a specific receiver. They strike me as home-theater-in-a-box speakers.

Don't forget you're going to need to get the volume from the sub to match the volume from the speakers, which means they're going to need a shared volume control at some place along the line. This is usually the receiver's job but I guess you could do it with the volume control on your computer.

UPDATE: Looks like those speakers are designed for a receiver with the model number STR-KS380.
  10. MagicPants said:
    I wasn't expecting to see home speakers, and sony to boot. I wonder if they were built to match a specific receiver. They strike me as home-theater-in-a-box speakers.

Don't forget you're going to need to get the volume from the sub to match the volume from the speakers, which means they're going to need a shared volume control at some place along the line. This is usually the receiver's job but I guess you could do it with the volume control on your computer.

UPDATE: Looks like those speakers are designed for a receiver with the model number STR-KS380.

Yes they are. Over here they compose the BDV-E280 home theather, likely with that receiver you posted. I got them cheap because they didn't come with the receiver (I even have the remote for the thing xD). Since my audio card has better DACs than I will find on any receiver I can afford, I am inclined to try an amplifier. Maybe something with a tripath 2050 50wpc, I read a positive review on those.
  11. Best answer
    I've had two 2050 amps. The first was a DTA-100a, but the left channel on that one died after a little less than a year. The second is the topping tp22, which is connected to the machine I'm writing this on. I've only had that one for about 3 months but so far no issues. It sounds about as good as the 2020 only it can do loud.

They are great, but only really cost effective if you want to drive two channels. BTW stay away from Pyle amps, they claim a lot more than they deliver. I've used an 80 wpc Pyle amp that wasn't nearly as loud as a 20 wpc 2020 t-amp.
  12. All right man, I think I'll settle on this setup:

1. 4x100W 2050 from Sure for front and rear audio. (50 bucks)
    2. 2x100W 2050 from Sure for Center and Sub. (44 bucks)
    3. 24V 600W PSU (75 bucks). There's a Mean Well PSU for $140 that may save me cash on the protection circuit, but I still think it's a little steep. The cheap one has free shipping too.

This way I can get everything for under $200, and parts costing less than $50 and won't be taxed.

If I get that working, I'll add:

1. Aluminum case for the amp.
    2. 2x dual + 2x single logarithmic Pots for the inputs. I'm thinking 50k-ohm for the 2x100w and 200k-ohm for the 4x100w to accomodate the difference in input impedance (10k for the former and 47k the latter).
    3. Decoupling capacitor, input varistor and fuse.

If all goes well, might do some improvements to the filters on the boards later, changing those cheapo capacitors and ditching the compact coils for toroidal ones... but that is way in the future.

Thanks for sharing your experience, man, helped me a lot. If I ever get this working I'll post the results.
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Speakers Power Components Product