Jul 25, 2012
Hi all,

I recently (a month ago) built a gaming PC (cheap) with the following config:

PSU: OCZ ZS 650W Bronze
CPU: AMD FX 6100
RAM: 8 GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 670
Case: Zalman Z11 with 5 fans

Ambient temp: I'm in Ipswich, UK, and it's been around 22 - 25 deg C.

I have not overclocked the CPU and GPU. Everything was working fine till yesterday. Now, I'm seeing something inexplicable!

I play Battlefield 3 on my 32" HDTV and it works just fine - During gameplay (maxed settings) GPU temp = 51 deg C. CPU temp = 39 deg C.

When my computer is idle for a bit, a monitoring utility that I installed (CPUID HW Monitor) shows my GPU temp at 70 - 75 deg C!!!!

I've checked for the following:

1. The utility - my case has a temperature sensor that I positioned in the GPU and got the same reading. I have a small digital thermometer that I placed in the case and got the same reading as well (give or take a couple of degrees).

2. Background programs, etc - task manager shows no additional processes. Being a clean computer, I haven't installed much.

In a nutshell, my GPU shows a temperature in the low 50s while running a heavy game on max settings. But, it runs even hotter when my PC is idle!

I'm concerned about the card. Have any of you seen this before? Please suggest anything else that I should check for. Thanks.

drums101

Distinguished
that is a weird one...i feel like it is just software freaking out....try a different temp monitoring program (a good one gpuz) and see if that gives you the same results....also you could try uninstalling the drivers and install fresh ones...let me know what the results are

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007

He specified that he checked with a Temp sensor in the case and a digital one.

Fan speeds are the first thing to come to mind, are the fans spinning when it's idle? Try using either MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision X to adjust the fan speed, to say 50%, see if it still idles hot.

Afterburner

They are both the same program really, one just only works with Nvidia cards(Precision X).

solman79

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Hi all,

I didn't place the temperature sensor in the die (apologies for the misleading statement). I placed it on the GPU itself and it was quite close to what the monitor said.

In any case, I think the problem may be with the fans. I got Afterburner as you recommended and setup a custom fan profile (starting at 50% and going up to 80% in a linear scale). The temperature readings are normal now. It's a very nice little utility

Thanks for your help on this everyone. You've probably saved my card!