Thoughts, Ideas, and Recomendations on my first Gaming Build

Frankmr123

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
Hi all, I hope I am posting this in the right place but... this is my first gaming PC build and I wanted it to be moderate. My budget is between 700-800 more towards 700 of course. I am hoping to play most newer and graphic demanding games such as Battlefield 3, Skyrim, and Crysis at a mix of high to max settings and as for now I do not plan to use multiple monitors or overclock (maybe just a little bit in he future). Also I am building a SFF Microatx build due to limited space in my home.

Motherboard- Asrock Z77M
(I know this board isnt feature rich but I BELIEVE it will serve its purpose in my case, not 100% sure though.)

CPU-Intel Core i5 3570k (Stock Cooler?)

GPU- Sapphire Radeon HD 7850

RAM- G. Skill 8gb (2x4)

PSU- Seasonic M12II 620w

Case- Thermaltake Armor A30
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133187&name=Computer-Cases

Monitor- My Vizio 32" 720p just for now to keep my build [strike][/strike]cost low.

I did alot of research and found this parts individually to be generally well recieved but i just wanted to input on all of these together specifically.

evilqueens

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

A good build for your needs. At your resolutions, you'll easily be able to play the games at the settings you want (maybe a notch down off the maximum with some AA, AF settings disabled).

The stock cooler will be fine if you don't plan on overclocking. In the future, when you are ready to overclock, look into the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. A great CPU heatsink that is the best performance/price cooler on the market today.

Lastly, you are getting a PSU that is very excessive for your build. Instead, go for a good 500-550W power supply from Corsair, Seasonic, or XFX.

Frankmr123

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012

Yea I was thinking the PSU was a bit much but wasnt sure, now that i know I will look for something in the 500-500w range. Thanks a bunch!!

nstiver

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
Maybe it's just me but I would always get an aftermarket cooler. I have that CPU and the stock cooler is universally regarded as sucking majorly. Of course, you would have to most likely get a smallcooler for your small case, but I think anything would be better than that intel stock thing.

evilqueens

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

Well, I have an i7-3770K and so far I've been running it with the stock cooler. I bumped down my voltages and even managed a small overclock with decent temperatures - not sustained for a long time, because temperatures eventually got uncomfortable for my taste.

Basically, it boils down to this: the stock cooler will work just fine if you are not overclocking. If you are, it's highly recommended that you do get an aftermarket cooler as temperatures will quickly get out of control.