Gigabyte GA-870A-USB3L + SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X HD 7770 GHz Edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marvinisaac

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
Hi.

I am thinking of upgrading my aging HD4670 to a Vapor-X HD7770. As I looked at the pictures, something suddenly struck me: the longer 7770 is almost the same size as my motherboard, the GA-870A-USB3L. It will most likely block the SATA ports of the motherboard.

Before buying the 7770, I wanted to ask if I would run into any trouble with the combination in the title.

TL : DR
Motherboard:
[strike]http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3801#ov[/strike]
http://b2b.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3828#ov

(Future) Video Card:
http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1159&lid=1&pid=1523&leg=0

Will it block the SATA ports? Ignore the two upper ports in the picture, mine only has the lower four. Thanks.

Solution
i dont think legnth is the problem, the question is thickness, which sapphire labels 43mm(1.69 inches)

measure the distance between the Pci-e's slot perpendicular to the slot's hole(where the pcb of the gpu will be attached) down to the top of the highest up sata port. if it is larger than 1.69 inches, then the top port will become unusable. I doubt it will block the bottom ones though.

edit: if the gap is smaller* not larger.

drums101

Distinguished
if the video card is in the top pice slot then no it will not block the sata ports...the video card you are getting is only 2 slots wide....and the top sata port is three slots below the top pcie slot so you will not block any of your sata ports...even if you were blocking them you could still use them you just need a 90 degree angled sata cable

edit: so I just read the part where you only have the lower four...even better lol those are about another whole slot down

marvinisaac

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011

shoot! i linked the wrong version.. sorry..
i already corrected it..
mine only has one slot and the sata ports of my card are slightly higher than the one on the picture..
i'll try to take a picture of the motherboard later..
thanks again and sorry..

i dont think legnth is the problem, the question is thickness, which sapphire labels 43mm(1.69 inches)

measure the distance between the Pci-e's slot perpendicular to the slot's hole(where the pcb of the gpu will be attached) down to the top of the highest up sata port. if it is larger than 1.69 inches, then the top port will become unusable. I doubt it will block the bottom ones though.

edit: if the gap is smaller* not larger.

Solution

marvinisaac

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
Here are some [strike]crappy[/strike] pictures:
With my current HD4670:
rYe6I.jpg

No video card, close-up:
1ps5F.jpg

I also tried measuring it, as dudewitbow suggested, and I am pretty sure it will block the higher ports and reach the lower ports. I am just praying that the card's shroud is not perfectly rectangular, or else.....

Thanks for the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.