Custom Computer randomly freezing, cant use mouse or keyboard, no BSOD

dannycav

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
My computer keeps randomly freezing. It will run fine for a couple hours, minutes, whatever, then out of the blue it will freeze up and nothing will work (keyboard or mouse). Usually, everything besides the mouse freezes, and ill try to go to the start menu or push Ctrl+Alt+Del and nothing happens. Then usually the mouse freezes after that and the only way to get it to work again is to cold reboot it. This is a custom build ive had for about 3 weeks now and its been happening ever since i first booted it up. Ive replaced almost all my original components (motherboard, cpu, RAM, Power supply) and nothing has fixed the problem. Ive checked the temperatures and everything seems average (below 40C). When its frozen the HDD indicator still flashes so i know that its not the hard drive, and also note the DVD drive will still work. Ive manually changed my RAM timings, voltage, and everything that has to do with my RAM many times yet it still hasn't fixed anything. My videocard divers are up to date. my PSU is well over the wattage i need for my system (newegg suggested 315w and i have a 500w corsair). What could the problem be? Im so stumped and so pissed off at this point i have no clue what to do. Again, the freezing is TOTALLY random, i could be running my computer fine for 3 days and have no problems, then all the sudden have everything freeze, with no BSOD or anything. Any help appreciated. People have told me that they have had the same problem but re-installing windows has not helped them. Thanks! PS. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but when installing windows 7 i forgot to make a partition for the hard drive. I cant imagine how this would cause the freezing but i figure ill put it in here. :pfff: :fou: :sweat:

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
My first thought is that it could be your power supply, however if you have already replaced it and its a corsair, which have a great reputation for reliability, it probably isn't your problem.

You said that you changed you're RAM settings, that could have caused some of your problems, go into your BIOS and reset all optimized default settings. Also the attached screen shot had your memory listed "@ 0mhz"?

Although probably wise to install your OS on a separate partition, that isn't required and I also can't imagine that being the problem.

You've already replaced all of the prime suspects in your build with the exception of your HDD. Try running your system with on board graphics only for awhile and see if whats causing the issue is the hybrid crossfire with the A8 and the HD 67xx.

The only other option would to be reformat the HDD and do a fresh install of Win7, it may not fix the issue but what do you have to lose? good luck

dannycav

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012

Thanks for your reply.

Im trying not running in dual graphics mode, but to be honest i really hope that's not the issue, because i bought this system knowing that i could crossfire the two to get better performance. Also, yes i could just re-install windows, but id be loosing about 100GB of games that took me weeks to install (Slow internet) so i don't think it would be worth it, especially since people say its not working. But again, thanks for the reply!