Haswell performance increase

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012
Thinking of getting a convertible ultrabook, maybe a "back to school" deal because it's actually going to be for school. I found one I like, so I'm waiting to see a similar model using the new set of intel's gen 4.

Intel claims double battery life same performance or double performance same battery life. I don't think that's realistic. What do you think about haswell?

P.S. mobile low power i5 vs i7, how are they different and does it affect battery life and responsiveness?

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Considering the jump from first gen i CPUs to the seceond gen i CPUs, and considering the jump from second generation i CPUs to the third gen i CPUs, I'm going to say anywhere between 5-15%.

And it's going to cost 220% of the price for only 20% of the performance of AMD's price:performance king CPU; for intel's "price:performance" king cpu.

I'd guess the Haswell will light the ultrabook/notebook/laptop on fire. I'd wait a couple months if the need isn't immediate and see what shakes from the tree.

A lot on new technology is in the Haswell, most of it to help power. I hear they are working close with vendors to get the rest of the chips low in power too so it should be amazing.

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012

AMD does not shine when it comes to battery life for normal activity.