Sign in with
Your question

Haswell performance increase

Last response: in CPUs
March 5, 2013 7:20:00 PM

Thinking of getting a convertible ultrabook, maybe a "back to school" deal because it's actually going to be for school. I found one I like, so I'm waiting to see a similar model using the new set of intel's gen 4.

Intel claims double battery life same performance or double performance same battery life. I don't think that's realistic. What do you think about haswell?

P.S. mobile low power i5 vs i7, how are they different and does it affect battery life and responsiveness?
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2013 8:01:24 PM

Considering the jump from first gen i CPUs to the seceond gen i CPUs, and considering the jump from second generation i CPUs to the third gen i CPUs, I'm going to say anywhere between 5-15%.

And it's going to cost 220% of the price for only 20% of the performance of AMD's price:p erformance king CPU; for intel's "price:p erformance" king cpu.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2013 8:17:16 PM

I'd guess the Haswell will light the ultrabook/notebook/laptop on fire. I'd wait a couple months if the need isn't immediate and see what shakes from the tree.

A lot on new technology is in the Haswell, most of it to help power. I hear they are working close with vendors to get the rest of the chips low in power too so it should be amazing.
m
l
March 5, 2013 8:24:03 PM

MajinCry said:
Considering the jump from first gen i CPUs to the seceond gen i CPUs, and considering the jump from second generation i CPUs to the third gen i CPUs, I'm going to say anywhere between 5-15%.

And it's going to cost 220% of the price for only 20% of the performance of AMD's price:p erformance king CPU; for intel's "price:p erformance" king cpu.

AMD does not shine when it comes to battery life for normal activity.
m
l
!