xHALORDx

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
Hey, Been delaying my build heaps cause I'm still deciding on the GPU/'s. I've finally decided on GTX 680s because they are slightly faster than 670's and I'm wondering which brand gtx 680 is the best. Also if there is a gtx 670 version out there that beats a 680 I'd like to hear it. Im not planning on OCing anything so pretty much this is the question. What is the best card (any 670,680) for running in dual SLI at 1080p. (Maybe more sometime but for now just 1080). Please dont bring AMD or any other cards besides these into it because I'm going to be running Nvidia 3D vision 2 which needs Nvidia GPU from what I hear and also it drops framerate by half so please dont say 1080p will run maxed on like 660s or anything like that becuase remember im halving the framerate.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
This. You really don't need any other. If you can afford it - get it. If you can't afford it - wait and save some more money, and then get it.
It's THE best 680 out there. You'll fly with it, even while using 3D Vision (4GB of memory - easily three monitors at 1920x1200).

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

There are two other models out there (EVGA and MSi's "Lighting") that are a little bit more powerful than the one I've recommended, but they are absolute overprice, not worth getting. "Lighting" just has different fans (the cooling system's absolutely the same) and a little bit higher factory OverClocking, but has only 2GB of memory, while EVGA's one is an absolute crap (loud as FU*NK and HOT...even though has 4GB of memory, too) for inexperienced kids.
The one I've recommended has better temps, not so loud ("Lighting" is quieter) and costs less than either of mentioned above, and you can pretty much OverClock it quite easily even higher than both "Lighting" factory clocks and EVGA's (it has Core Clock 1MHz higher than the "Lighting", lol) one.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

I've already said about it - overprice that you really don't need (because you can get those clocks, and even more, for free. Why pay for little higher factory OC, when you can get that frequency by yourself, very easily? Only inexperienced marketing victim would buy something like that. And it only has 2 GB of memory on board, totally not worth such money).
It's like buying i7 2700K (100MHz higher factory OC, no other differences, lol) instead of i7 2600K, which would be absolutely stupid and just pointlessly throwing money into black hole.

Again, only 2 GB of memory. And besides that - this one is quite loud.

xHALORDx

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
IS 4GB of Vram needed for my computer, Heres the Specs so far:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($75.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($102.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($209.00 @ B&H)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DS 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($39.68 @ Newegg)
Case: Inwin Dragon Rider ATX Full Tower Case ($120.49 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: OCZ 750W ATX12V Power Supply ($79.98 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($21.48 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus VG278H 120Hz 27.0" Monitor ($569.00 @ B&H)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) ($130.20 @ Amazon)
Total: $1958.77
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-28 01:41 EDT-0400)

xHALORDx

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
Also im sticking with this setup Ive changed my mind so many times and im going with that, So please dont say anything about changing the other stuff because this threads about GPUs

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

You're planning to play modern games at high/maximum settings and watch videos in highest quality.
You're planning on using 3D Vision.
Of course it does matter.

2GB is not enough these days, especially if you're using several monitors at high resolutions.

Also, it's not about memory capacity only.
It's also about temperature, noise level, performance, OverClocking ability, overall quality of components and product's build, and, of course, the price.
Combining all those parameters together - there's no better 680 than the one that I've recommended you.

There's almost nothing wrong with your build (only the case - there are much better options out there. Better than that...that... :pfff: ).

:\

Anyway, OP:
If you can afford what I've recommended you - buy it without hesitation. If you can't afford it - do whatever you feel like doing, but you might regret it later.
That's my last word on it. I won't be arguing with anyone on that, it's for you to decide in the end.
I do really hope that you will make a wise decision...and if not...well..."to each his own".
No matter what, I wish you the best of results in any of your doings. Have a nice day/night. Peace.

xHALORDx

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012

Is there a case you would recommend over the Inwin?

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Of course.

"Dragon Rider" is actually absolute crap (based by my own experience of dealing with it..those FU*NKING UGLY yellow fans still come back in my nightmares from time to time), heavily overpriced to the boot (it's actual cost shouldn't be more than 58$, really. It's THAT bad of a Full Tower, no one should get it, even if they receive it as a present).

"HAF X" would be a much MUCH better option.
But aside from "HAF X" there is also Fractal Design's "Define XL" and BitFenix's "Colossus" that I would personally recommend checking out.
But ONLY if you can't afford "HAF X". If you can afford "HAF X", get it immediately.
If you can't afford "HAF X" AND don't want a Full Tower (for some reason...), get "HAF XM" - it's THE best Mid Tower on the market right now.
"HAF" totally dominates both Mid Tower and Full Tower segments these days, and Cooler Master really deserved the praise - their "HAF" line almost entirely consists of the top-notch cases, even the most cheapest and simple models.