Sign in with
Your question

My CPU cooler Wont fit!!!

Last response: in CPUs
March 5, 2013 8:43:14 PM

Hey everybody i just got my new cpu...and i have encountered a problem with the cooler.....The white pins wont push down through the hole that my old cpu cooler was on...my old cpu cooler had screws......Can anyone help?

Motherboard

CPU Cooler

More about : cpu cooler wont fit

a b à CPUs
March 5, 2013 8:45:17 PM

What is that CPU cooler you are using? Brand? Model?
March 5, 2013 8:47:37 PM

adamv1 said:
What is that CPU cooler you are using? Brand? Model?

its the stock cooler that comes with the i5 3570k
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2013 8:52:06 PM

So, the pins don't line up? Is that an OEM motherboard? Like from dell or HP? It looks like one. It could be an OEM manufacturing issue. They make parts specifically for their products. Custom builds are designed to be universal while Dell and HP OEM parts tend to only fit DELL and HP components, like case fans.

You my need to invest in a new MOBO to get around this issue. Let me know if this is an OEM board and what model it is.
March 5, 2013 8:53:51 PM

adamv1 said:
So, the pins don't line up? Is that an OEM motherboard? Like from dell or HP? It looks like one. It could be an OEM manufacturing issue. They make parts specifically for their products. Custom builds are designed to be universal while Dell and HP OEM parts tend to only fit DELL and HP components, like case fans.

oh...ok would it be possible for me to use my old cpu cooler till my new motherboard comes in?
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2013 8:56:39 PM

Did you have an older CPU in there before? If so what was it?
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2013 8:57:52 PM

Yes, you can use the old CPU cooler since it is designed for the same size processor. If it is OEM it will not cool as well as your replacement so don't go overclocking or anything crazy.
March 5, 2013 8:58:18 PM

melikepie said:
Did you have an older CPU in there before? If so what was it?

PENTIUM G630 LOL
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2013 9:05:40 PM

No. That CPU has a 65w TPD which would not guaranty the cooler support the 77w TPD of the 3570k. Your best bet is to either buy another backplate, order a whole new cooler like this one, or just wait for your new motherboard.
March 5, 2013 9:09:32 PM

melikepie said:
No. That CPU has a 65w TPD which would not guaranty the cooler support the 77w TPD of the 3570k. Your best bet is to either buy another backplate, order a whole new cooler like this one, or just wait for your new motherboard.

well the cpu cooler i wanted i already ordered yesterday..the noctua d14...would thatwork when it gets here?
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2013 9:12:06 PM

The heat isn't going to be that much different between 65 and 77w. It would be best to wait however, since the heatsink from your old system isn't really designed to handle the needs of the new processor. But if you just can't wait, the old heatsink will work.
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2013 9:12:18 PM

Yeah? Do you also want 5GHz? That cooler is BIG.
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2013 9:14:06 PM

That's the worst advice ever. Are you asking him to kill his CPU before his $90 cooler comes?
March 5, 2013 9:14:49 PM

does the noctua d14 screw in or has pins?
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2013 9:16:20 PM

It screws in with a custom backplate.
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2013 9:17:56 PM

That is not the worst advice ever. I said it would be best to wait but it will still work. If the CPU gets too hot the system will shut down at which point I would stop using it. But I don't think it will get that hot unless he is running it for long periods under stress.

Secondly he is getting another MOBO not Cooler.
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2013 9:26:02 PM

He's getting another cooler and another MOBO!
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2013 9:32:47 PM

The solution to the problem is to get another Motherboard, the cooler is just extra and not necessary.
a c 101 à CPUs
March 5, 2013 9:34:45 PM

I suspect the old cooler was not the stock one because it has the screws there most likely from the back plate of the old cooler.
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2013 9:43:17 PM

Yeah. Also, adamv1, I would still argue with you but I just jammed my toe into a chair :'( .
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2013 9:47:04 PM

Im sorry melikepie, I guess we will just agree to disagree then.
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2013 9:50:13 PM

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My toe now has a blue area near the front. I think I have internal toe bleeding.
March 6, 2013 12:31:48 AM

It looks to me like that mobo can only support up to a Pentium. If you check the manual, it should tell you. Also, the old Pentium is a Sandy Bridge and the i5 is an Ivy Bridge. Thus, it would not be compatible anyway because the i5 is 22 nm and the pentium is a 32nm. So don't even bother powering it up until you get the new motherboard and don't listen to adamv11. The pentium's heat cap is a mere 65 degrees celcius and the i5 is a whoping 105 degrees celcius. :non: 
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2013 5:39:18 PM

neodymium,
He didn't mention what motherboard he has, so I am not sure where you discovered the compatibility issue. I was the one that suggested the new motherboard as the solution to his problem. The stock cooler from the original sandy bridge CPU would allow the system to run, unless there is the compatibility issue you mention. I have run many CPU coolers that don't match the processor, it won't damage his system as long as he doesn't run it at 100% for long periods. I also said that I wouldn't recommend it but if he couldn't wait it will work. So don't go waving your finger at me.
March 6, 2013 8:05:32 PM

adamv1 said:
neodymium,
He didn't mention what motherboard he has, so I am not sure where you discovered the compatibility issue. I was the one that suggested the new motherboard as the solution to his problem. The stock cooler from the original sandy bridge CPU would allow the system to run, unless there is the compatibility issue you mention. I have run many CPU coolers that don't match the processor, it won't damage his system as long as he doesn't run it at 100% for long periods. I also said that I wouldn't recommend it but if he couldn't wait it will work. So don't go waving your finger at me.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
!