Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Upgrade from a 32-bit win xp pro

Last response: in Windows 7
February 18, 2012 12:43:13 AM

I want to upgrade from my windows xp pro 32-bit to a windows 7 professional 64 bit. Yes, my processor can work with 64-bit. On the Microsoft site, using the student discount, the student price for a windows 7 pro upgrade is $64.95. As shown here, http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/pd/productI...

I know you can't upgrade as I will be doing a clean installation of my current HDD. Yes, I will be wiping everything from my HDD and will install the windows 7. Will I be able to do a clean installation using this windows 7 pro disc even though it's an "upgrage" disc.

More about : upgrade bit win pro

a b $ Windows 7
February 18, 2012 12:52:31 AM

Hi :) 

Yes...

All the best Brett :) 
Score
February 18, 2012 12:57:49 AM

Ty for your DETAILED reply. ^__________^

Anyways, I have another question. Looking on this site, http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/pd/productI...

I don't get what it means when it gives you the options to download+backup disc and download. It says the disc doesn't come with the license key??
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
February 18, 2012 1:08:19 AM

art209 said:
I want to upgrade from my windows xp pro 32-bit to a windows 7 professional 64 bit. Yes, my processor can work with 64-bit. On the Microsoft site, using the student discount, the student price for a windows 7 pro upgrade is $64.95. As shown here, http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/pd/productI...

I know you can't upgrade as I will be doing a clean installation of my current HDD. Yes, I will be wiping everything from my HDD and will install the windows 7. Will I be able to do a clean installation using this windows 7 pro disc even though it's an "upgrage" disc.

Yes. You will have to perform a clean install of W7, so backup your current data files, photos, etc. on another hard drive or media, so you can copy them to your new system.

The upgrade version means you can reuse the license on another machine if the original machine fails, but you can only have it running on any one machine at any given time. This is better than the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) license you get on a Dell, Compaq or other pre-built machine because an OEM license expires when the original machine dies. The $65 price is a very, very good deal.
a b $ Windows 7
February 18, 2012 1:17:21 AM

art209 said:
I don't get what it means when it gives you the options to download+backup disc and download. It says the disc doesn't come with the license key??

Download + Backup disc = You download the installation program (probably a bootable .iso image) that you can burn to a DVD or a USB drive to install W7, and MS will also send you the installation DVD as a backup (for $14.95) in case you lose or damage the original download.

Download = You just get the W7 download installation file; you will have to make your own backup DVD or USB drive in case the installation fails or becomes corrupt through operation, malware infestation, or hardware failure.

Always make a backup of the original installation file or DVD because you never know when a hard drive will fail and cause your system to become inoperable. You can buy a replacement hard drive and use the backup installation disk to reinstall W7.

Edit: It must either come with a product code key, or it will be sent to you by another means, like email.
Score
February 18, 2012 1:47:19 AM

Best answer selected by art209.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 18, 2012 2:30:55 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!