Signs of hardware incorrect assembly of a computer

jiewmeng

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Mind sharing some signs of a incorrect assembly when you assemble a computer? For example, I once forgotten to connect the EATX12V (8 pin) and the fans start and stopped. I am sure there are more, it should make it simpler to troubleshoot/pin point errors more quickly:

For example:

- if there's a short circuit, what do I see/hear (I saw somewhere ticking sounds?). This can be caused by screws on back of motherboard? Also curious, is the MB lost after a short?
- what if the power supply is lacking?
- If I see no video output, what can be the cause?
- etc.

jiewmeng

Distinguished
May 7, 2011

Thanks for that very informative link:

>> A standoff installed in the wrong place can cause a short and prevent the system from booting.

What will be considered a standoff placed in the wrong position? If I have a spare standoff which I screwed to an unused slot does that count?

Also I read abit about shorts and static: If I dont have an antistatic bag, where is the best place I can put my hardware? What are some good/bad places?

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

A standoff in the wrong position will be one that is not aligned with a screw hole in your motherboard.

That would be a perfect example of placed in the wrong position - you should only use as many standoffs as you have mounting holes on your motherboard, extras are just that - extra. If the extra is under the motherboard somewhere, that is very bad.

Bad places would be any conductive material (aluminum foil, mylar), cling type plastic wrap
Good places would include the original packaging, other computer hardware packaging, a shoe box or perhaps a cigar box. My preference is old computer hardware boxes (if I don't have the original packaging)