Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Signs of hardware incorrect assembly of a computer

Last response: in Systems
October 22, 2012 2:52:49 PM

Mind sharing some signs of a incorrect assembly when you assemble a computer? For example, I once forgotten to connect the EATX12V (8 pin) and the fans start and stopped. I am sure there are more, it should make it simpler to troubleshoot/pin point errors more quickly:

For example:

- if there's a short circuit, what do I see/hear (I saw somewhere ticking sounds?). This can be caused by screws on back of motherboard? Also curious, is the MB lost after a short?
- what if the power supply is lacking?
- If I see no video output, what can be the cause?
- etc.

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
October 22, 2012 3:48:00 PM

The primary sign is, of course, the computer does not pass POST. This sticky is pretty good for info after coming to that conclusion.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...
October 23, 2012 12:16:12 AM

C12Friedman said:
The primary sign is, of course, the computer does not pass POST. This sticky is pretty good for info after coming to that conclusion.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

Thanks for that very informative link:

>> A standoff installed in the wrong place can cause a short and prevent the system from booting.

What will be considered a standoff placed in the wrong position? If I have a spare standoff which I screwed to an unused slot does that count?

Also I read abit about shorts and static: If I dont have an antistatic bag, where is the best place I can put my hardware? What are some good/bad places?
m
l
Related resources
October 23, 2012 12:18:56 AM

The smell of burning circuits...
m
l
October 23, 2012 12:33:08 AM

jiewmeng said:
Thanks for that very informative link:

>> A standoff installed in the wrong place can cause a short and prevent the system from booting.

What will be considered a standoff placed in the wrong position? If I have a spare standoff which I screwed to an unused slot does that count?

Also I read abit about shorts and static: If I dont have an antistatic bag, where is the best place I can put my hardware? What are some good/bad places?

A standoff in the wrong position will be one that is not aligned with a screw hole in your motherboard.
m
l
October 23, 2012 12:42:08 AM

Fire.
smoke.
sparks.
beeping.
Crashes
BSOD's
no post
many others....
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 23, 2012 2:27:32 AM

jiewmeng said:
A standoff installed in the wrong place can cause a short and prevent the system from booting.

That would be a perfect example of placed in the wrong position - you should only use as many standoffs as you have mounting holes on your motherboard, extras are just that - extra. If the extra is under the motherboard somewhere, that is very bad.

jiewmeng said:

Bad places would be any conductive material (aluminum foil, mylar), cling type plastic wrap
Good places would include the original packaging, other computer hardware packaging, a shoe box or perhaps a cigar box. My preference is old computer hardware boxes (if I don't have the original packaging)
m
l
October 23, 2012 2:52:17 AM

OK I'll remove the extra standoff but if it's not under the board should not cause a problem?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 23, 2012 3:41:28 AM

If it's not under the board, it shouldn't be an issue but best not to have it in (unless you're afraid you'll lose it otherwise)
m
l
October 23, 2012 1:46:06 PM

Best answer selected by jiewmeng.
m
l
!