XFX 7870 DD Black Edition with XPS 8300?

AngryAngel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
Hi,

I would like to upgrade my graphics card - at the moment I'm using 6670. I've done quite a lot of research and 7870 seems to be the best option to go for. In the beginning 7850 seemed the best option but 7870 costs just £27 more so in my opinion it's worth it. At the moment I've stock 460W PSU so it's obviously too weak for 7870, however I am going to buy Corsair 600W PSU which is more than enough, right?

XFX 7850 DD Black Edition: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-xfx-radeon-hd-7850-dd-black-edition-5000mhz-gddr5-28nm-gpu-975mhz-1024-cores-dl-dvi-hdmi-mdp
XFX 7870 DD Black Edition: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-xfx-radeon-hd-7870-dd-black-edition-5000mhz-gddr5-28nm-gpu-1050mhz-1280-cores-2x-dvi-hdmi-2x-min
Corsair 600W PSU: http://www.shop.bt.com/products/corsair-memory-600w-builder-series-cx-v2-atx-psu-7JSQ.html

Anyway my main question is this - will everything fit inside, will I have everything that I need? The PSU from BT.com mentions in the description that it has "2 x 6 pin PCI Express power" which I think will be required for the 7870. Is that correct?

TL;DR - Can I use XFX 7870 Black Edition DD & Corsair 600W Builder Series CX V2 ATX in my Dell XPS 8300?

AngryAngel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
Just purchased 7870 card & 600W PSU. If anyone wishes to know how this goes - write here/send me a message and I'll let you know :)

odiervr

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Hope all works out ok. I bought a PSU for my dell once and it would not fit. The power connection was on the 'other' side. I ended up having to get one from dell at an increase price. I could have made it fit (cut the case), but too much trouble.

FYI: the 7850 would have run just fine with your stock dell PSU. Dell PSU's are VERY GOOD !

GL !!

AngryAngel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011

I hope that everything will be fine too. Well I'm going to receive my products in less than 3 days so I will make another post here how it all went. In the mean time - pray for me lol.

AngryAngel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
Just replaced my PSU - since I am able to write here, you've guessed right - everything seems to be working just fine at the moment. I am now going to turn off my computer and replace my graphics card! When I opened the case and while I was replacing my PSU, it seemed like that graphics card would not fit or motherboard's parts would be in the way. However, I've tried fitting it in and it fits perfectly. PSU was more difficult than replacing the graphics card in terms of difficulty in my opinion.

Anyway I'll be back in a few minutes! :hello:

AngryAngel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
2 problems.

#1 - In device manager (display adapters) it shows me - AMD Radeon HD 7800 series. Is it supposed to be like that? It should not be something particular? e.g. AMD Radeon HD 7870. When I was using my old card - it was showing it as "6670" not as "6600 series".

#2 - This problem was continuously happening with my old 6670 card. Whenever I would restart/turn off turn on my computer the entire screen would just be "washed out". However - whenever I opened catalyst control centre I would automatically get my colors back - the screen would be nice again. After today's upgrade even if I open the catalyst control centre - the screen is still washed out... How can I fix this annoying issue?

BTW: When I was upgrading my graphics card I installed new/reinstalled my catalyst control centre.. That may be why. Should I reverse the changes by going to "System Restore"?

AngryAngel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
This problem was continuously happening with my old 6670 card. Whenever I would restart/turn off turn on my computer the entire screen would just be "washed out". However - whenever I opened catalyst control centre I would automatically get my colors back - the screen would be nice again. After today's upgrade even if I open the catalyst control centre - the screen is still washed out... How can I fix this annoying issue?

BTW: When I was upgrading my graphics card I installed new/reinstalled my catalyst control centre.. That may be why. Should I reverse the changes by going to "System Restore"?

Upgrade - today I replaced my 6670HD with 7870 XFX DD Black Edition.