What do I use, CRT or LCD?

jwcollect

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002
I'm building a workstation to do both 2d, Photoshop and 3D and want to know which type of display to buy. I heard that an LCD cannot produce the same resolution and clarity that a crt can. Is that true? Which one, CRT or LCD?

Howard

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Yes, that is true, also LCD can't pump out as much framerates as a CRT. By all means, the LCD's advantages is that it reduces eye strain and takes up less desk space than a comparing CRT monitor. However, for better clarity, CRT is the way to go.

MaximumGoat

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
i believe that is wrong, in my experience, lcds offer much greater clarity (at optimum resolution only though), but ultimately dont have as high resolution, colour reproduction isnt quite as good, and the refresh rate thing is no longer really an issue, lcds are much better in my opinion, newer models only though!!

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Here's the deal:
You can get a 1600x1200 lcd easy, but you have to pay a little more for something bigger than 19". Now you may want to go higher than that, in which case you can't (whereas a crt has a high max res at 60Hz).
In terms of clarity, an lcd hooked up through the DVI can beat a top of the line crt hands down in precision. However, this amounts to nothing when you realize color reproduction is not as good and your image will look a darker on the top or bottom or sides b/c viewing angles. Also, 3d s max was a b!tch on an lcd b/c the response time...it's VERY noticeable there.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening.