Installing Win 7 on an OEM Hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riftkiller126

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Hi, I have a few questions regarding a PC build I am contemplating:
I bought an Off-The-Shelf desktop computer for gaming purposes, though unfortunately, I found out that upgrading it is not really easy, or possible. So, I decided to use the hard drive and DVD-R/W drive in a new build:

It does come with an OEM Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit edition install on it, however, I have read that to upgrade the motherboard on it will not work due to the OS being Tied to the motherboard installed in it!

My questions are as follows:

1. Is it possible to install a new OS ,Windows 7 Home Premium (the non-builder/non-OEM verison) over the previous one? and Also, how do I overwrite the old installation?

2. Do I really need to buy a new OS copy to build a new system? I have read in other forums that you do, just want to make sure!

new PC build Specs: If needed
AMD Phenom 2 x4 975
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Thermaltake TR2-RX 850W black widow W0139
Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB
Corsair Vengence 8GB 1600
NZXT Phantom 410-red
Cooler Master hyper 212+
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200.12 (original HD from OEM system)
Generic DVD-R/W (unknown brand/model)
Thank you!!

Solution

I have upgraded my mobo several times. Usually due to hardware issues, and occasionally due to it simply being time to upgrade, and I have never had MS deny me from putting my OEM copy onto a new machine, and I have never replaced a mobo with the same version or brand (I generally get what will work and...
See above in red font.

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
I would try installing the OEM version again just in case it does work (you may need the key on a sticker on the old computer), that has happened to me in the past. If you need a fresh install, just boot from the installation CD and format the hard drive when asked.

Riftkiller126

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
I guess I didn't say this sooner, The computer did not come with an installation disk for Win 7 Home premium, So I can't do it that way! I just don't quite understand the difference between the builder version of windows 7 and the retail version! If I were to install Windows over it using a retail version, would that work or do I need to bite the bullet and buy a new HDD?

The OS on the drive is tied to the computer it came with (in MS's case this means the mobo AND case), so if it is being used with a different mobo/box then you have to purchase a new full version.

There are 2 versions on Windows to buy, Retail, or OEM:
Retail follows you, and allows you to intall that OS on as many computers as you like... so long as it is one at a time. If you purchase a new machine, you can then uninstall the OS (or nuke it using dban), and then install it on a new machine. This will likely require a phone call to MS when you install to the new machine, and if your old machine is not uninstalled/reformatted then it will result in both copies being 'not genuine' and you get to buy a new copy :). Purchasing the retail version means also that MS will give you some amount of support... a very limited amount, but when you have as many customers as they do, you take what you can get. You cannot transfer this license to another person. If you sell the computer the OS has to be removed before transferring ownership. This is more expensive, and considering the only practical difference is that you 1) get support that dosn't really exist, and 2) cannot get rid of it, it is generally not the advised option.

The OEM version follows the PC, not you, and is generally the best way to go for system builders. While this technically means that if you upgrade your computer you have to purchase a new copy of the OS, in practicality it is very different. I do not know the particulars off hand, but suffice to say that they are generally willing to work with system builders when it comes to their own machines, and they have taken a very liberal view of what constitutes as a computer. There is NO support for OEM software as the system builder (you) are supposed to provide your own support. While you cannot sell the OS alone, you can sell a computer with the OS on it with this version. If you sell the computer with the OS on it then you are technically providing support for the OS on that machine as the person you are selling it to cannot go to MS in order to receive any form of support.

I would first try upgrading the system you have and work with what you've got. While pre-made machines lack features, they tend to have decent quality (with some noteable exceptions like compaq and their crappy capacitors, HP with their bad power supplies, some Dell Optiplex machines with bad mobos/powersupplies/caps/HDDs etc.). I know Dell has moved to BTX mobos and cases, but still take standard ram, ATX power supplies, normal HDDs, and normal CPUs (this is assuming that you purchased a tower instead of a slim-line PC). HP is mostly on ATX parts, with the exception of their power supplies which can be of odd purportions, but many models will still take standard ATX power supplies as well. In general, if you are using a single GPU, single HDD, 8GB or less of ram, then you should be able to upgrade the PC with few issues.

To get rid of windows you can use a utility like dban (derik's boot and nuke), or else reformat the HDD during the beginning of the installation process when you boot from the install CD. See my last post about the difference between OEM (system builder) and Retail

This is only legal if you are re-installing onto the same machine. That license is not transferable to a different computer.

The System Builder or OEM edition of Windows is a cheaper copy of Windows that cannot be moved from computer to computer. All of the differences between the OEM and Retail licenses are explained in question 6 in this thread.

The system did not come with a physical install disk because the OEM probably set up a recovery partition on your hard drive. They have all started doing this to help reduce the cost of the system since they don't have to ship a separate physical restore disk with the machine.

@ fb39ca4,

Please don't advise users to try installing their OEM copy of Windows on another machine. This violates the OEM license agreement.

OEM also known as the system builder version = cheapest

Upgrade = a little more expense than OEM and requires that your have the installation disk and product code key for a qualifying OS, e.g., any version of XP or Vista. Can be installed on a future replacement system as long as you still have the qualifying OS disks and key, and it is installed on only one system at any given time.

Retail = most expensive

From your description, you can buy either an OEM/System Builder version or a Retail version.

Option 1: Attempt a repair install, which would not destroy all your files, photos, etc., but would likely retain all the earlier drivers (and registry entries) from your pre-built system. Result: bloated registry, unneeded drivers, and slower than a clean installation.

Option 2: You could do a clean install, which will have a less bloated registry and no unneeded drivers. If you choose this, then backup all your personal files, photos, etc. to other media or another HDD, so you can copy them back after the clean installation of W7.

Since you are building a new system, I suggest a clean installation.

Note: If you think you may build a newer, replacement system in the future and would want to use W7, then I would recommend getting the Retail version because it can be put on as many systems as you may build - you just cannot use it on more than one system simultaneously.

Riftkiller126

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011

Yes, I would do this, however, I have done a little digging, and while the motherboard DOES support the Phenom 2 x4 975, the OEM (ASUS CM1630) BIOS does not, therefore, I have a perfectly good CPU sitting in a box, collecting dust, because instead of allowing CPU support, they decided to "increase system stability" with the CPU it comes with, I do not trust BIOS mods, so I figured that I would instead build the system to MY specs, with a mobo that does allow upgrades (including the FX series CPU). and not be stuck with a computer that has no real potential. So what you are saying is as long as I don't intend to sell it ever, I should go with the builder version?

Um, half right. I am saying get the OEM/system builder version because it is both cheaper, AND you can sell it later (with the system of course). It is the retail version you cannot get rid of... and costs more.

Confused about the mobo support. mobo support is dictated by 3 things; the socket, the chipset, and the bios, and (for the most part) if a chipset supports something then the bios will (but then again I know more about the Intel side than AMD so maybe I am wrong?). I would throw it in there and see if it works as you have all the parts already. If you do a clean job of it I highly dobut they would check the thermal paste to see if you tried modifying the CPU. If it works then you saved a few $, if it does not then you can still try returning the system.

I am 99% sure that this is illegal. You cannot install the Upgrade version to a replacement computer. Purchasing an upgrade version allows you to upgrade a computer that already has a copy of windows on it, it does not allow you to install a newer version of the OS on a newer machine.

Riftkiller126

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011

Yes I know this, however, I do not have thermal paste laying around to reinstall the CPU it came with, and currenty, I do not have any parts but the 975! Also, if I decide to upgrade the mobo later can I with the builder version?

if you own a non-oem (retail)copy of windows XP or vista and upgrade it to windows 7 you absolutely have the right to install it on a new machine later. you in affect own a retail copy of windows 7

The single license retail version of Windows, whether it is a full or upgrade version can be used as many times as you want, on as many machines as you want, as long as it is only being used on 1 machine at a time. That is the advantage of paying full price for the retail version. The cheaper OEM version, well you get what you pay for, you can only ever install it onto 1 machine, it can never be transferred or installed onto another machine. (it is tied to the original motherboard).
Now, if you are able to convince Microsoft that your PC broke and required a new motherboard, of the same make and model, then you can get them to give you a new key to reinstall and activate the OEM OS again on the new board, but you have to give them substantial proof of what you did.

Riftkiller126

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Hey thanks for the info, I'm gonna stay on the safe side and get the Retail version, it may cost more, but it seems to be more worth it.
as a side question, what are the odds of me getting a "lemon" motherboard?
Also, does this mobo support SLI/CrossfireX in 2x16 mode? just wanna make sure! thanks

Riftkiller126

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Though, now that I think about it, seeing as I might build a new system, (WAY down the road I hope, lol) maybe the builder version might be the better option. Caedenv, what did you mean by "microsoft being more willing to work with system builders and there own machines"? and can u upgrade memory, graphics and CPU later if you want to without repurchasing a new OS license? sorry to be a pest, but I'm new to the PC building thing!

sure, if starting with a non OEM version, but he has a pre-made box, which will have an OEM, so that is not the case here.

Riftkiller126

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
I have just read that the OEM version is not intended for consumer use, that is only for system builds that are to be sold. So, why is it that you can get it as a consumer then? doesn't make sense, tho to be honest I may sell it later, so theoretically, I would be then fulfilling the ToS and terms of use then right?

I have upgraded my mobo several times. Usually due to hardware issues, and occasionally due to it simply being time to upgrade, and I have never had MS deny me from putting my OEM copy onto a new machine, and I have never replaced a mobo with the same version or brand (I generally get what will work and is on a good sale at the time). Nor have I ever heard of MS denying anyone unless they are obviously and blatantly taking advantage. That being said, the OS is tied to the mobo, so it is at MS's discretion as to if they allow you to do this, and is in no way guaranteed. That being said, I have never done a complete new build without purchasing a new OS. The closest I have done is when I upgraded from my c2duo to my new i7. I replaced the mobo, ram, gpu, and processor (kept the case, 3 HDDs, ODD, cooler, psu, and accessories), and the installer never even asked me to re-register after the upgrade (which really surprised me as I have had to re-register after much smaller changes in the past, even with my current OS disc).
Again, it is entirely up to MS, but so long as you are not rebuilding the whole system every 6 months, and you have a track-record of purchasing OSs and doing things legally (I believe I have bought 8 copies of windows over the years from win98 until now for my own personal systems, and ~20-25 copies for builds I have done), then they are generally willing to work with you.

Solution

The OEM/System Builder version is for people who build systems, it does not matter if you are building it for yourself, or for someone else. What matters is that you provide your own support with the OEM, and that the retail version puts some of the support burden on MS. I have intended to sell every PC I have ever owned... sadly a thunder storm, bad power, bad parts, a glass of OJ, a damned cat, and various other reasons have always prevented my machines from lasting long enough to sell.... it's really a curse.

BTW, a tube of thermal paste is like $5 at your local electronics/computer store; I would still try the CPU in the mobo for $5 first and see if you get lucky. Not saying I would waste a lot of time on it, but I would pop the CPU in, see if it posts, and if not then no loss, but if it does then it may give you some cheaper options going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.