Sign in with
Your question

Urgent cpu querey

Last response: in CPUs
March 6, 2013 1:11:15 AM

hey guys im using an i7 2600 atm but i was wondering if its going to be better to go to either the

i5 3570k

i7 3770k

The computer is just a gaming comp and i heard the i5 is all you need for a gaming rig. is the extra $100 justifyable for the i7??

More about : urgent cpu querey

March 6, 2013 1:36:21 AM

What I know is that a processor with K suffix are processor with multiplier unlocked means that you can overclock them the first number which is three is that it is a third generation IVY bridge processor that support PCI 3.0 but requires motherboard with a support for third generation processor to maximize its potential capabilities. Yes your $100 is justifyable but if you can play your games smoothly with your i7 2600 then stick to it.
m
l
Related resources
March 6, 2013 1:37:43 AM

You'll here it all the time on this site that games at least for the most part do not use more than one core or thread so yes in fact the i5 is plenty for gaming primarily. The need for 4 cores with an extra thread per core is simply not needed for games.
m
l
a c 309 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
March 6, 2013 1:46:50 AM

rayy1212 said:
You'll here it all the time on this site that games at least for the most part do not use more than one core or thread so yes in fact the i5 is plenty for gaming primarily. The need for 4 cores with an extra thread per core is simply not needed for games.

You might want to re-think that statement.
m
l
March 6, 2013 2:56:27 AM

clutchc said:
You might want to re-think that statement.

I do retract my previous statement and admit I was misinformed and as clutchc corrected me in another thread modern games are heavily multi-threaded.
m
l
March 6, 2013 5:34:37 AM

what do you mean modern games?
m
l
March 6, 2013 5:44:30 AM

atm i mainly play black ops 2, borderlands, lol, but skyrim online is out this year.

im upgrading my gpu from gts 450 x2 to EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti FTW Signature 2
mobo intel bp67bg to ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard
and vantec power supply to OCZ Fatal1ty Series 750W Modular

but im not sure if i should upgrade my 2600 17 cpu
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
March 6, 2013 5:55:45 AM

No, don't change the CPU. Yours is fine. If anything put the money you saved from the CPU and get a 670.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2013 6:00:58 AM

I wouldn't get concerned about your CPU with any game in the next 2-3 years at least, tbh. TES Online (not Skyrim online ;)  ) will probably push your system a bit more than Skyrim but not to the point you need a new CPU. James7811 correctly points out that your i7-2600 isn't overclockable (assuming you've not forgotten to put the 'K' in?) but that doesn't really matter...it's still a great CPU for games, and you'll not notice any practical benefit by upgrading to Ivybridge. You're far better off putting any money set aside for that into getting the best GPU you can...that's where you'll notice the difference.

Upgrading a PSU is good if your current one is either generic or underpowered...not sure if you'll see a benefit from upgrading the motherboard if it's suitable for your current needs.
m
l
March 6, 2013 6:34:03 AM

ok so not changing my cpu now (not overclockable) and upgraging to the gtx 670.

http://www.pccasegear.com/ is where im getting my pricing from the
Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 GC 2GB is on sale @ $379
ASUS GeForce GTX 670 DirectCU II is $429 standard.
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 Overclocked 2GB is $ 419

has anybody any info as to the difference or is it all brand name. i know asus has the better cooling and gigabyte has more fans and comes pre oc.

OR should i close this post and reopen in gpu section

Cheers
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2013 6:57:33 AM

EVGA are apparently one of the best, as they have good customer support.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2013 7:20:18 AM

the is alittle overclocking room available from the non-k series i5's & i7's - Providing you have a suitable motherboard & cooling, it should be capable of around 4.3ghz by combing the additional 4 multiplier bins above max turbo freq that P/Z series motherboards make available & a slight baseclock adjustment to 103~
m
l
!