Corsair TX850w fan rattle - what to do?

Murderotica926

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
I love my trusty Corsair TX850w. Has always been very dependable and has given me more than enough power and more than enough connections. However, the fan has recently started making a very annoying rattling noise. It's driving me crazy. The PSU is not even 3 years old and it has a 5 year warranty, but here's the problem: I am not the original owner. It came with a PC that I bought off my friend over the summer and I have since moved it over to my new build. I contacted my friend about it and he does not have the receipt, invoice, or any of the original purchase documents that came with it (as usual, he never keeps any paperwork and when something fails, he's too lazy to take advantage of warranty).

Apparently if I open the unit to mess with the fan myself, I void the warranty. So, is there ANY way I could still take advantage of the warranty without the original purchase documents, even with some kind of additional fee? If not, does anyone know of a good way of fixing this in a non-jank way? (meaning, I dont want to simply duct tape a case fan to my PSU)

Gundy

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
You could always glue a fan to the PSU. OK, fine, never mind.

Try physically flipping the PSU over. If it's the fan bearing (which it sounds like it is) changing the orientation of the fan can really help. Try it at 90 degrees and 180 degrees from normal mounting orientation. Depending on your case, you might be able to rig up a mount so that it works long term.

Also, dust and check for debris. Just in case.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Get the details of the reseller from your friend and contact Corsair. IIRC, they don't ask for a receipt, just who you bought it from and date of purchase (might be hard to pin that one down, but worth a go).