Cpu or board or is another component faulty?

itsjm

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
i have a biostar h55hd with a i3 540, was working perfectly fine. just bought a used i7 860 , installed, and booted up into windows 7 and then shut down. now it just post and goes into the windos screen then keeps shutting down. i thought it was the psu and installed a beefier one and still a no go. please help whats the problem, bad cpu. ??

rayy1212

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
I'm not going to claim whether or not I know if its a bad CPU but if I had to go off of a hunch that would be my first guess, but on that note what led you to believe it was rather the PSU?

itsjm

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
it was a low power psu, and i know i7 need more power than i3s.
im new to this so this might not matter, but it does post when its booting up it reckognizes that it is a i7.....could it still be faulty?

rayy1212

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
It could be a problem with windows and your hardware swap too I'm not at liberty to instruct you in what to do with your system but perhaps try reinstalling windows if it won't affect anything

itsjm

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

yeah i tried that it was working fine before i swapped cpus and after...

itsjm

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

like i said earlier im knew to this , and i really dont know how (or ever done it) to update bios ,
and i was thinking of maybe reinstalling windows to see if that will work.....

itsjm

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

hey,
i remebered that a i7 needs a stronger psu, but i forgot a i7 needs a stronger heatsink and fan also......i think i found the problem, i took out the heatsink to try reseating the cpu and i felt the heatsink a little light on taking a second look i noticed it was a heatsink from a celeron cpu, so i ran (not literlay, lol) and grabbed a copper core heatsink installed and it booted just fine, now im gonna let it run all night, to see how it does. is prime 95 a good test on cpus?