Solved

GTX 670 2GB vs Radeon HD 7970?

GTX 670 2GB vs Radeon HD 7970

Well the reason for this is that I was told that the 7970 was better then the 670 so I was wondering if it was true. Also what is the major difference between these cards?
Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC 3GB DDR5 HDMI/DVI-I/Dual Mini DP PCI-Express Graphics Card 11197-01-40G
XFX ATI Radeon HD7950 3 GB DDR5 2DVI/HDMI/2x Mini DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card (FX795ATDFC)

Here is the rest of my build

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.98 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.36 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black/Orange) ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)

I am open to other suggestions
39 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about radeon 7970
  1. Come on guys :D
  2. Wouldn't disagree hugely with anything there, although the Asus P8Z77-V is worth the extra cost. Better performance, and full support for a 2nd graphics card, should you ever want to add on.
    Have many "discussions" between Radeon and nVidia, at the high end. In very general terms Radeon have the edge, in terms of value, over a broad range of games. On the other hand, many popular games are optimised, for nVidia, and the nVidia cards tend to outperform Radeon, in those games. The most obvious is BF3. Borderlands, Portal, Shogun, Starcraft also favour nVidia. It really boils down to whether you play one of those, most of the time, or like lots of different games. For HD7970
  3. PS
    The HD 7970 is more power-hungry, than the GTX 670, so if going that route, may be worth up-ing PSU to 600w, say PC Power&Cooling Silencer MKlll.
  4. Thank you man! So overall the 7670 is better? What would be good for like the total war games arma and stuff like that and how bad is the 670 on games that are not optimized and also how is the 7670 with games that are optimized for the 670?
  5. 7970 is a stronger GPU, hands down. 670 performs closer to 7970 in games optimized for nVidia, the gap widens in favor of 7970 in all other games. The situation where 670 comes ahaid is rare. In the same price it is a no-brainer. My suggestions:

    GPU: Sapphire 7970 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008&name=Desktop-Graphics-Cards
    Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293&name=Intel-Motherboards
    Hard Drive: WD Black 500GB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236345&name=Internal-Hard-Drives
  6. You have to allow more than 6 mins between post and answer.
  7. Your PSU is perfectly fine for a single 7970, but if you plan to add another one in the future, you should buy this PSU:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703027&name=Power-Supplies

    It also combos with an SSD if you are interested.
  8. Inferno1217 said:
    You have to allow more than 6 mins between post and answer.


    Cool story
  9. Would this card be good? XFX ATI Radeon HD 7950 3 GB DDR5 2DVI/HDMI/2x Mini DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card (FX795ATDFC)
  10. Bearing in mind, the HD7970 is about 10% more expensive, than the GTX 670, you'd expect the HD7970 to have a 10% lead. On average it probably has a 15% lead, it's not more dramatic than that. There are a few games, where that lead may get to 20%. Both are very good cards, so at 1080p resolution, you might find, in some game GTX 670 averaging 55 fps, and the HD7970 getting 63 fps, or something like that. In nVidia friendly games, like BF3, GTX 670 will "catch up", and may take a small lead, so you might end up with GTX 670- 60 fps and HD7970-55 fps, or something like that. It's not a huge margin, either way, in any games, that I'm aware of.
  11. The HD7950 is a cheaper card, and, as you might expect, on average is the other side of the GTX670. That means that the GTX 670 will have a good lead in the games that favour nVidia, although in a lot of games, the HD7950 can come close to the GTX 670, and even overtake it, in some, particularly with higher "bells an whistle" settings, and if well overclocked.
  12. OK thank you ill be getting the Raedon even though I hate AMD :D . Also how is the durability? Lastly will prices go up at Christmas?
  13. If you play at 1080p you can have top graphic quality with 7950 too. The difference in power between 7950 and 670/7970 is more notable in higher resolutions. See this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202006&name=Desktop-Graphics-Cards
  14. wow, how easily we are swayed............ I would go for the 670. you can see by the chart posted it's not so bad and actually does beat the radeon card ................depending on the game. add in physx and I think it's a better deal.

    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/vga_charts_summer_2012,1.html
  15. GTX 670 gets my vote!MSI's GTX 670 Power Edition uses the famous Twin Frozr IV cooler from the MSI Lightning and comes with a large clock speed boost out of the box, making its default clock speed even higher than GTX 680 stock clocks.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127685&name=Desktop-Graphics-Cards
  16. The 7970 is a superior card and now with Catalyst 12.11 it has sealed the deal even in games like BF3






    Also free games like Facry 3, Hitman Absolution Bundle

    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Catalyst_12.11_Performance/1.html
  17. You should get whichever you prefer i careless what people say i own 670's my neighbor three doors down owns 7970's and his cards are top notch are they better then mine the answer is no different games favor different hardware they trade blows so get which ever you prefer your not making a bad choice either way!P.S. If really high res monitor go for 7970
  18. Think OP has worked out this is one that will run, and run, because there is no right and wrong answer. GTX and Radeon both have their strengths and weaknesses, and perform differently in different games, resolutions and settings. Plus there are good, and not so good versions of both, at virtually every level.
  19. malbluff said:
    Think OP has worked out this is one that will run, and run, because there is no right and wrong answer. GTX and Radeon both have their strengths and weaknesses, and perform differently in different games, resolutions and settings. Plus there are good, and not so good versions of both, at virtually every level.
    Agreed ;)
  20. wow, all those charts just make me wet.......... guess we'll have to wait a couple of weeks and see what nvidia comes up with.......... hohum..............
  21. redeemer said:
    You own both cards you should know they trade blows my buddies 7970's these ones right here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125413 trade blows with my 670's there not better ;)
  22. swifty_morgan said:
    wow, all those charts just make me wet.......... guess we'll have to wait a couple of weeks and see what nvidia comes up with.......... hohum..............
    :lol:
  23. lordxarus said:
    OK thank you ill be getting the Raedon even though I hate AMD :D . Also how is the durability? Lastly will prices go up at Christmas?



    What makes one "hate" AMD????
  24. zloginet said:
    What makes one "hate" AMD????
    I bet hes thinking of the old AMD back two or three years ago i would agree amd cards were not so good the drivers were horrible now days they have really stepped their game up :D
  25. bigcyco1 said:
    You own both cards you should know they trade blows my buddies 7970's these ones right here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125413 trade blows with my 670's there not better ;)



    Funny how everyone has a buddy they can use for moments like this. That odd because my 7970's are better than my 680, but than again my 7970's are clocked at 1275 @ 1.3v. Especially with the current drivers 12.11 the lead is there already now if you overclock the 7970 there is no way a 670 can come close, the 670 should be compared to the 7950 and not the 7970.

    The graphs I posted already state all the above
  26. Yea I am going to cast my vote for the 7970 because of CAT 12.11 and the game bundles... Who would have guessed that the 7970 ghz can outperform the 680 in BATTLEFIELD 3? Kudos to AMD drivers team.
  27. redeemer said:
    Funny how everyone has a buddy they can use for moments like this. That odd because my 7970's are better than my 680, but than again my 7970's are clocked at 1275 @ 1.3v. Especially with the current drivers 12.11 the lead is there already now if you overclock the 7970 there is no way a 670 can come close, the 670 should be compared to the 7950 and not the 7970.

    The graphs I posted already state all the above
    Not sure what is funny about it. Its the truth you can believe what you like i have no reason to lie. What benefit do i get from it?I am not being paid either way op goes so i careless which card they get both are top notch and that is my conclusion!
  28. bigcyco1 said:
    Not sure what is funny about it. Its the truth you can believe what you like i have no reason to lie. What benefit do i get from it?I am not being paid either way op goes so i careless which card they get both are top notch and that is my conclusion!



    Who are you trying to convince (kidding)? Your right in your conclusion both cards are great and thats all the matters. Though at the moment I find it very hard to recommend anything Nvidia at this current time because AMD has the best performance/price ratio at this time but that could change in a heart beat!
  29. redeemer said:
    Who are you trying to convince (kidding)? Your right in your conclusion both cards are great and thats all the matters. Though at the moment I find it very hard to recommend anything Nvidia at this current time because AMD has the best performance/price ratio at this time but that could change in a heart beat!
    Well we did these test last month Going over to my friends tomorrow to find out if these magic drivers are making his cards smoke my 670's like that i do not trust it without seeing first hand in person :lol:
  30. bigcyco1 said:
    Well we did these test last month Going over to my friends tomorrow to find out if these magic drivers are making his cards smoke my 670's like that i do not trust it without seeing first hand in person :lol:



    First hand experience is key you're absolutely right and that is good thing I own flagships from both companies. Shouldn't be suprised, I mean AMD GNC is a new architecture therefore it will have the headroom in term of driver optimizations, where Kepler is more of an evolution of Fermi with little headroom.
  31. didn't take as long as I thought.... now if we can get them to drop the prices.......... *( email today/670 for 369.00 ) at newegg....... but only in the email not on site.

    actually it's $359 gigabyte model.

    http://www.hardwareheaven.com/news.php?newsid=4796
  32. Thank you guys which card would Arma 2 be better with?
  33. Really I just want to choose one :D anything will be better then my celeron and intel integrated graphics
  34. 7970 is more powerful.
  35. Best answer
    lordxarus said:
    Really I just want to choose one :D anything will be better then my celeron and intel integrated graphics
    Guy's knock it off! lordxarus get whichever you prefer 670 or 7970 your not making a bad choice either way i promise
  36. bigcyco1 said:
    Guy's knock it off! lordxarus get whichever you prefer 670 or 7970 your not making a bad choice either way i promise

    Thank you :D
  37. Best answer selected by lordxarus.
  38. No problem! :)
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build HD Radeon Systems Product